Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Doe hunts????

Just looked it up and they say a lion kills every 6 to 12 days .that's close to 100 deer if we go by your 1 lost doe is like 3 lost deer those numbers add up quickly 1 lion 300 potential deer .that's crazy I wouldn't have thought 1 cat would do that much .

8 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Just looked it up and they say a lion kills every 6 to 12 days .that's close to 100 deer if we go by your 1 lost doe is like 3 lost deer those numbers add up quickly 1 lion 300 potential deer .that's crazy I wouldn't have thought 1 cat would do that much .

Assuming it only eats deer and not pigs, coati or whatever.  I've heard they kill roughly 50 deer a year. So maybe 50/50 deer vs other animals. But even 50 a year is a lot. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:13 AM, OpticNerd said:

How about a predator bonus point. You shoot a lion you get a extra BP. You kill 10 coyote you get an extra BP. 

That's actually a brilliant idea. Would help numbers especially since dog contests went away.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

Not a biologist, but I was talking to Jack Cartwright one time, his family had a ranch in the 7 springs area for along time, anyway he told me that lions perfered horse, cattle, then deer. He said that a colt was alittle easier for a lion to get a hold of so generally they went first. Another buddy that had a ranch in the Baghdad area, said they couldn't keep a colt around.  I was talking to a lion hunter in the Globe area and I ask him how often a lion would kill a Deer. He said alot of it depended on how many bears was in the area, he said that a lion would kill a Deer then bury the carcass, then a bear will come along dig it up eat it, then the Lion would have to kill again. Don't know but this is what I've heard.

Even in much of the Midwest the doe slaughter is a myth.  If you’ve reached carrying capacity of your habitat then you need to thin deer, and does are the best in that case.  That happening is quite rare though.  It would never happen in the west and doesn’t happen near as much as the TV shows want you to think in the farm country of the Midwest.  The best thing we ever did on our place here in ND was to slow the doe shooting way down.  They were shooting 30-40 a year off of 5k acres.   I’ve cut it back to just a few (youth hunters) and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made as far as deer go.  

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Even in much of the Midwest the doe slaughter is a myth.  If you’ve reached carrying capacity of your habitat then you need to thin deer, and does are the best in that case.  That happening is quite rare though.  It would never happen in the west and doesn’t happen near as much as the TV shows want you to think in the farm country of the Midwest.  The best thing we ever did on our place here in ND was to slow the doe shooting way down.  They were shooting 30-40 a year off of 5k acres.   I’ve cut it back to just a few (youth hunters) and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made as far as deer go.  

Do you target the predator population more to help the numbers of deer?I 've hunted Colorado mostly for elk and in some units the have a antler requirement and in other areas you can get eathier sex tags .I wonder if a antler requirement would work here .not sure about what size tho some places use this method I think the deer has to have antlers wider than there ears and so many points.it would give the younger deer a chance to get some age and really help the breeding.

6 minutes ago, Mattman215 said:

That would be a terrible idea. 
we need less tags period not for tags that would kill off a lot of the population fast. 

It's a losing battle buddy. That guy has been told the same thing multiple times, he wants so badly for somebody to agree with him!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

It's a losing battle buddy. That guy has been told the same thing multiple times, he wants so badly for somebody to agree with him!

It’s not happening.

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

If you look at the second page I've stated that my logic behind this subject was wrong .there were several other ideas that were thrown out that make some good conversation and might help.I've not looked for anyone to agree with me I've only responded to comments that were directed towards me.

I personally wish fish and game would offer less tags and not be so hungry for permit fees. Could be exceptional deer hunts in most units if fewer tags and point restrictions were enacted. 

18 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

If you look at the second page I've stated that my logic behind this subject was wrong .there were several other ideas that were thrown out that make some good conversation and might help.I've not looked for anyone to agree with me I've only responded to comments that were directed towards me.

All of your suggestions to increase deer Populations in AZ have been discussed on this website over and over for the last 10+ years.  

Bottom line, the public responded to a survey to increase hunter opportunity over quality and the department used it to increase tags/revenue and now we’re killing too many deer. 

17 minutes ago, Mattman215 said:

I personally wish fish and game would offer less tags and not be so hungry for permit fees. Could be exceptional deer hunts in most units if fewer tags and point restrictions were enacted. 

I'm all for fewer tags but not for point restrictions. I can remember when the first rifle hunt was the last Friday in October. Now we are wacking bucks all month long.

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I'm all for fewer tags but not for point restrictions. I can remember when the first rifle hunt was the last Friday in October. Now we are wacking bucks all month long.

With one or two seasons. Now there are 4-5 hunts in all most every unit