Zeke-BE

Wife's first hunt ever! Wyoming Antelope

Ive been putting in my wife for about 5 years in Wyoming for Antelope.  We finally got drawn in an area where Ive hunted before.  She has dealt with my hunting for years.  I told her Ive been putting her in. She said ok to it.  So game on!  Once she got drawn I had her at the range practicing shooting.  Make the long drive up to Denver CO where my brother lives.   Leave by 3 am the next morning and she is wiped out.

IMG-1917.thumb.jpg.2ee4858528a9b10b0b563be1f3c6958d.jpg 

Anyone that knows how to flip the pic please do.

The next day we get there by 8am or so.   Saw tons of bucks on the side of the road.  Once we got into our unit they disappear.  The only time we saw bucks and antelope was either on the other unit north of us or on private.   Once I get to a high point I get out and glass.  I glassed up some does and keep looking for a buck.  I finial find him.   Man he looks good.  I range him at 1260 yards. If he looks good at that distance he is a shooter for sure.   We make a plan to stalk.  We go around and close the distance at 650 yards but if we lay down for a prone position the next hill will block our view.   So no choice to make it 200 yards to the next hill.  We get to 450 yards and him and all the does are staring at us. Once I point out the buck to my wife where the buck is at all of them take off.  We are busted!!!!!   We go after them but no luck.   A mile back to the truck and the wife is getting flustered.   Make it back to the truck so we can take the road to that bucks location.   On the way there we spot another lone buck by himself and keep driving out of sight and then get out.  We get to a shooting position and range him at 450 yards.  I dial the scope and she gets set up.  Mean while she is fluster trying to get set up.  We haven't trained enough for different positions so she was getting upset.   Once she said I see him of course he starts to run off.   He keeps going well past 700 yards and over the hill.  So we take the next road that goes that direction.  No luck and we couldn't find him.    Sad he was sooooo big..   But the wife is getting fluster and I realize we need to take every opportunity we can get.  So we take the next road after him which was a 2 track road.   We make it to the end of the 2 track and I spot another buck while in the truck.  Im 1/4 turned from the buck and put my binos on the steering wheel.  I can tell he is an ok buck and range him at 510 yards.  I tell my wife I cant get out or he will see me get out.   He is looking right at us.  I told the wife to get out on her side and I adjusted the MOA on the scope before hand.  She gets out and she is having problems left and right.  She finally found him and got set up.  I can see her finger reach the trigger and once I saw that I hurry up and put my binos on the steering (boooooom!!!!!) wheel.   It caught me off guard.  I quickly try to look and no buck running.  She said did I get him?  I responded Im not sure.   I didnt see him run off.  I asked how did your shot feel?  She responded it felt really good.   Well you probably got him them.   We hiked up to him and 100 yards away i could see fur and horns.   Ha ha ha!!!  I was so excited for her.   But she didn't get the rush because she was so fluster with scope and trying to find him.  But nonetheless she got him!!!  510 yards one shot

IMG-1937.thumb.jpg.f195e7e57df2e3608c6e650a5ce8ebb7.jpg     

IMG-1933.thumb.jpg.b2604ecefcd5ff4eeea4f579058e80ea.jpg

IMG-1938.thumb.jpg.8de9ef80511820ed7401d8c12357f231.jpg

• Like 26

Nice job!  So happy your wife overcame her frustrations and got the job done!  It’s a learning curve for sure but she has a great mentor and she did great. 

Congratulations to the both of you. 

Great writeup and thanks for sharing. That's a  sweet looking rifle setup, whatcha shootin'? Congrats!

46 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Great writeup and thanks for sharing. That's a  sweet looking rifle setup, whatcha shootin'? Congrats!

280AI semi custom from Axis Works.  On a Tikka action.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Congratulations to her. The fence video made me laugh. Remembering the first time I took my wife out and laughed my butt off watching her try to figure out a gate.

Ha ha ha yeah had to help her a few times

• Like 1