Sign in to follow this  
coueschaser3

Need.....

Hey, alotta folks aint gonna like this one. but i am lookin hard for a sonoran Gopher snake.....bull snake to some. I need a big one like 5+ ft. and cant seem to find one big enough to suit my purposes. Need it to introduce my dog to snakes and know that they are a no no. I know alota folks on here wont touch em but if anybody that dont mind happens upon one i would arrange to pick it up if your up for it.

I have...and still am but will unlikely get an opportunity before opener. I may opt for that and just not take him out because of it very early in the season. Im pretty confident that a gopher will help with at least sight and sound recognition maybe not so much with scent, not sure how much that differs. I will get to the avoidance training, but have talked to a few folks who have done this and it worked well. I have plenty of snakes but they are more the size that will not intimidate or even strike or get aggressive. Very familiar around snakes including rattlesnakes but im not near enough so to milk and defang a rattlesnake and feel ok about the training.

Last year i only hunted over him in late nov-early jan, that pretty much solved the issue then.