Sign in to follow this  
Mog

Legal definition of a buck

Ive heard in the past that horns had to be beyond the ears for legal take, however I can't find anything in the regs to support this. All I can find is "male pronghorn" is the definition for legal take, am I missing anything?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mog said:

Ive heard in the past that horns had to be beyond the ears for legal take, however I can't find anything in the regs to support this. All I can find is "male pronghorn" is the definition for legal take, am I missing anything?

Mandela effect. I coulda swore it was there for years, but when I had my last tag a couple seasons ago I didnt see it

If it identifies as a buck, you can shoot it these days.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mog said:

I’d guess a penis 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

It used to be longer than the ear. Now they just say buck. 

I'll have to dig out an old reg book from the 60-70s to be sure, but I don't recall there ever being a minimum horn length for pronghorn in AZ for the last 50+ years. And of course, besides the longer horns, the other tip-off for a male is the prominent black patch on the upper neck/cheek. The only restriction I recall was the one on sheep where it had to be 3/4 curl or such. 

I remember the horns having to be longer than the ears as well.

18 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I remember the horns having to be longer than the ears as well.

I think I still have some printed old regs around. Have a time frame so I can check?? 

Please don’t shoot an antelope with horns shorter then his ears on an AZ tag.  I might cry if that happens.  AZ tags are special, you can shoot 8” dink bucks every year in WY, MT, CO etc etc but AZ antelope are a once in a lifetime thing so treat it that way.  

2 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

I think I still have some printed old regs around. Have a time frame so I can check?? 

90'S?   I had a tag in 2001, I think that it was in place then.  Not going to swear to  it.

4 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

90'S?   I had a tag in 2001, I think that it was in place then.  Not going to swear to  it.

Same. I know for a fact it was in place in 2001 because I was cited for it and my citation read “Harvesting buck antelope horn shorter than the ear”.

My arrow clipped the edge of the window on my ground blind and went over the back of the buck I was shooting at and center punched a fawn buck. I self reported and even asked if I could tag the animal because it was a buck, but no dice.

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Please don’t shoot an antelope with horns shorter then his ears on an AZ tag.  I might cry if that happens.  AZ tags are special, you can shoot 8” dink bucks every year in WY, MT, CO etc etc but AZ antelope are a once in a lifetime thing so treat it that way.  

There was a time I agreed with you, unfortunately AZ has fallen WAY down the  antelope quality ladder. Other than 5B and maybe 10 (too many tags for too many years) the rest of AZ more or less = Idaho.