Sign in to follow this  
maximus

off road tire pressure

i'm planning on going to the north of roosevelt lake on a very nasty road, i have a tacoma with bf goodrich all terrain, my question is how much do you lower the tire pressure? mine right now are at 38 psi, they are 265-75-16.

thanks in advance.

I too have a Tacoma. I haven’t let the air out too many times but when I did, I took it down to 25 psi. I was concerned about the possibility of breaking the bead if I went lower than that. I’m a bit of a nervous nelly messing with my 4x4s tires while in the field 

• Like 2

All that I've read says you can lower your recommended tire pressure by 25% without fear of breaking your bead.

If any more than 25%, I'd look into bead locks for your tires and rims.  This is a whole other conversation but suffice it to says it's a bit involved and is not cheap.

I have no direct experience with the above, it's simply what I read on the Interwebz so it must be true. 😁 

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S.  I watch this CHANNEL regularly and Matt deals with this in his line of work, and of course, his main recovery vehicle has bead locks.

57 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

All that I've read says you can lower your recommended tire pressure by 25% without fear of breaking your bead.

If any more than 25%, I'd look into bead locks for your tires and rims.  This is a whole other conversation but suffice it to says it's a bit involved and is not cheap.

I have no direct experience with the above, it's simply what I read on the Interwebz so it must be true. 😁 

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S.  I watch this CHANNEL regularly and Matt deals with this in his line of work, and of course, his main recovery vehicle has bead locks.

Me too! Better than anything on TV 😃

So I have had the exact same tires on my taco. I have run from 25 to 35 for very long periods of time with no issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

Good luck,

Eddie

I love that show! I think Lizzy would be a blast to go wheeling with! Yes I think I’ve see a couple episodes where he lost his seal. Of course he puts a lot of stress on those tires!

Which load range tire are you running? C or E?

E is stiffer and I would say about 20-22, C a little higher. 

This is assuming you are not running wide rims too. When I was rock crawling we routinely got down in the 13-18 range, so 20-25 is going to help, but keep it high enough to protect the sidewall a little still be road safe if you can't air up before you get to a gas station or something. 

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

Which load range tire are you running? C or E?

E is stiffer and I would say about 20-22, C a little higher. 

This is assuming you are not running wide rims too. When I was rock crawling we routinely got down in the 13-18 range, so 20-25 is going to help, but keep it high enough to protect the sidewall a little still be road safe if you can't air up before you get to a gas station or something. 

they are stock rims and load range is E.

40 psi. I live on a road that some would consider a “hunting” road. I also go on rougher roads. I never “air down”! 40 psi makes for a rougher ride from some but it’s what I’m used to.

1 hour ago, maximus said:

they are stock rims and load range is E.

Down around 20 should be fine with E rated. Especially if you have a way to air up before you do a long highway run. 

• Like 1