Sign in to follow this  
azryan

3C Archery Bull

My Friend Russel finally got his chance to take his first bull. It took him eight years to draw the tag. Our group was consisted of 3 guys: Russel, James and I. James has a very rare case of MS, only 40,000 people in the world are diagnosed with they type he has. It was a pleasure having him on the hunt. James is very passionate about archery hunting and has killed his fair share of animals. His days of hunting are numbered due to his MS. So this hunt was dedicated to James. Russel and James were up 5 days before the hunt and built on the scouting we had started 4 months prior to the hunt. The rut was weak and the bulls were hard to call in. We did manage to call in a few bulls some decent but not worthy of Russel's tag quite yet. We hunted hard every day and everything worked out on the evening of the fourth day. That afternoon James went out to an area that he wanted to look at while Russel and I went into an area that I was in the night before and saw two really good bulls. We waited it out the rest of the day and started walking back to my truck, then we heard a bull bugle of in the distance. Another bull answered back that was no more then 200 yards from us. Russel got setup 40 yards in front of me, while I stayed back and started to call. That bull bugled back every time I called. I called one last time and it did him in. He came in running and glunking. He then stopped and bugled 50 yards from Russel. he then cleared the thick brush and showed himself . I could not see his antlers only a small section of his body. Russel drew his bow back and held it for about 30 seconds, then he let his arrow fly. It nailed that bull hard and I started calling to get the bull to stop again. The bull had blood spraying out and staggered and stumbled 20 yards before hitting the ground. Russel and I met up and we were shocked at what just happened. So we backed out and went back to camp to meet James. When we told James what had happened, he smiled big and was the happiest man I have ever seen. We waited an hour and went back to the spot to find the bull. Russel was shooting the 2-Blade Rage. That broadhead really did its number on that bull. The entry and exit wounds were devastating. We found the arrow right away and then the bull. The joy in everyone's faces was priceless. Russel killed his first bull and was his first archery kill. We felt bad that James was not there to experience all the commotion that went down, but he was the happiest person alive at that moment he held the antlers of the bull. We got done packing him out after four hours work. Russel really deserved this bull and so did James. Hopefully James can get a couple more hunts in till his body really starts deteriorating. He cherishes every time he gets the chance to be outdoors since he knows his days are numbered.

100_0725.jpg

100_0730.jpg

100_0738.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0788.jpg

100_0796.jpg

We got done packing him out after four hours work

Excellent bull for sure!!!.

Boy , I miss that hunt ... Nothing like Archery Elk in September! (still waiting) ;)

Hope James gets a chance at one to- !

Thanks for sharing! - The best 4hours you can spend in life :D

AzP&Y

Great Bull, glad you had good success. That bull has some pretty good fronts, nice job.

Thanks for sharing Ryan. That is a great looking bull and a great story to go with it. Isn't the feeling of success like that the greatest feeling there is? Glad you had good friends to hunt with and to have shared such a memorable moment in life. Congratulations to all of you. :)

TJ

Great story! Glad to hear that the hunt went great for him and hope that he can get more time in the field!

Great job! Thanks for sharing the story and pic's.

Thats one nice looking bull! Always good to hear stories like that where you get to share the enjoyment of a hunt with good friends!!