Sign in to follow this  
bcoover

Archery Bull

Well I am sure most of you knew I had an archery tag this year. I decided to drive up Wednesday afternoon. We had camp all set up and ready to go before 3. We started our scouting trying to locate a good heard bull. That night we came accross a good heard bull but were unable to see how big he was. It was too dark. Thursday we tried another spot and ran into about five bulls, it was too late in the moring to head them off so we let them go. Thursday night less action, almost like the animals could feel the hunt coming up. Friday moring the hunts starts. We are up at three in the moring hiking into our area. We get there a little early and decide to sit and wait until first light. We can hear two bulls sounding off back and forth at each other. I then try and get a closer look so I will know which is the bigger bull. I end up getting traped in between three bulls. Niether of them I can see. The elk start thier climb up the mountain, and we follow. The first hunt was a blast and educating at the same time. The wind was never in our favor but we couldn't help ourselves from chasing these elk. In the end the three bulls beat us up and we returned back to camp. We set up on a meadow for the late hunt and around five the bulls start to bugle. They get closer and closer. The sun begins to set. I don't get a shot the bulls decide to enter the meadow after dark. So with all this action I am pumped for Saturday. Saturday moring we decide to get ahead of the heard instead of chasing them all moring. Which we do. We call, we wait, the heard is moving up in our direction but really slow. We can hear two other elk off in the distance behind us. So we go after them. I come over the top of the mountain and am hit by three different bulls. One to my right one to my left and one below me. They are sounding off back and forth, so we join in. I decide to stalk the bull on my left. It took some time but I finaly get him in the open and forty yards away. Right then he looks right at me. I already had my bow drawn. But he is not broadside. I hold, he turns and shows me his side. Right as I let go of the string he takes off. My arrow goes right under him. He runs forty yards and looks back at me. I think he was rubbing it in my face. I grab my arrow and go to the next bull. The two other bulls have made it all the way up the mountain now and I have to run to catch up. I do and before I now it I am surrounded by a entire heard of elk. Bulls all around cow and calfs going to my right and to my left. I get on one bull. Don't know if he is the heard bull but big enought for me. He turns and gives me a thirty yard shot. I draw he looks right at me and takes off. He take the heard with him. That was the last of my moring hunt. We head back to camp. I don't know about anyone else but this hunt was going just as I had always wanted. Saturday night comes and we decide to set up on the meadow again. Same thing as the night before, we hear the bulls coming but we don't know if they will enter the meadow before night falls. Then I spot movment in the trees. A eight by six comes right out of the tree line and heads for the wallow. He is about 45 yards away but not broadside. Seven minutes later he turns, I fire, He takes off runing. I got him.....

14 years and it was worth the wait. It took four people to get this bull. I couldn't of done it without my Dad and Brother Christopher and Michael Coover. All the calling was done by and a special thanks to Jeff Wentworth.

Here is the video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L66ULhenDk

You can seach youtube for it. the clip is tiled ''six minutes till broadside''

I will post a picture in a few minutes.

Great Stuff!!! Congratulations . Hope you don't have to wait that long for the next one! ;)

PH

I love long main beams and good mass. And your bull has both.My Dad shot a really good one Sat.If somebody gives me there email I can send them a few pictures to post on coues.I am not very good on computer knowledge.

Noel