Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Buying a 4runner …need some real feedback

I’m buying a 4runner in the near future and would like to real world feedback from prior or current owners. I am particularly interested in the 2006-09 with the V8 motor. What was the reliability like with proper maintenance? Any issues to be aware of when demoing the vehicle? Anybody have one where they modified the suspension? I will be driving over 2k a month and want reliability and the ability to take it hunting also. Let’s here your experiences. David

• Like 2

I owned an 07 with the V8.  It was my wife’s grocery getter and we loved it.  She just wanted to go bigger so we moved to a Sequoia.  I’ve also owned 2 Sequoia’s with the same motor As the 4runner V8.  Biggest thing is to make sure the timing belt has been changed. They recommend changing it every 100k miles.  They are super reliable.  If it hasn’t been done it will cost you around $1,000 to have a shop do it or about $300 if you do it yourself.   The downside to the V8 4runner is that it is all time AWD.  I did not modify the suspension on my 07 but I have put lifts on a 97 4runner, a 2014 4runner, a 2007 sequoia and my most recent rig is an 02 4runner.  They are all very similar and pretty easy to do if you stay under a 3” lift.  Lots of info on the inter web.  I trailer my 4runner just like it’s a side by side.  I absolutely love it. 2847851D-FEF3-472E-9687-D5A316D164F4.thumb.jpeg.aa9380e03ea61cbb5167eaa4658193c4.jpeg

F5075CC6-C638-4FAB-AEB9-B6735089993C.jpeg

• Like 4

On our 07 the AC controls were kinda touchy, make sure to run all the fan speeds.

Had one of the v8 4Runners at work with 300k+ when it got broadsided and totaled.  Great vehicle.  Gas milage isn't the best, but not terrible.  Nice ride and comfortable.  Nimble and they do well off-road.

A little tight getting a bull elk in a 4Runner, but it can be done.

20170929_234340.thumb.jpg.830028839b27f20f2ecf9a9b873a87f9.jpg

• Like 4

After much homework, i went for a used 04 sr5 v6 4runner.  I didn't want the interference engine.  A v6 4runner is quite possible the best built vehicle on the road today.  I bought mine with 194k, it now has almost 210k, no issues whatsoever.  

I'm looking for another one.   I may get one to replace my wife's 2018 Fav 4.  

12 hours ago, twigsnapper said:

I owned an 07 with the V8.  It was my wife’s grocery getter and we loved it.  She just wanted to go bigger so we moved to a Sequoia.  I’ve also owned 2 Sequoia’s with the same motor As the 4runner V8.  Biggest thing is to make sure the timing belt has been changed. They recommend changing it every 100k miles.  They are super reliable.  If it hasn’t been done it will cost you around $1,000 to have a shop do it or about $300 if you do it yourself.   The downside to the V8 4runner is that it is all time AWD.  I did not modify the suspension on my 07 but I have put lifts on a 97 4runner, a 2014 4runner, a 2007 sequoia and my most recent rig is an 02 4runner.  They are all very similar and pretty easy to do if you stay under a 3” lift.  Lots of info on the inter web.  I trailer my 4runner just like it’s a side by side.  I absolutely love it. 2847851D-FEF3-472E-9687-D5A316D164F4.thumb.jpeg.aa9380e03ea61cbb5167eaa4658193c4.jpeg

F5075CC6-C638-4FAB-AEB9-B6735089993C.jpeg

+1 on the timing belt, as it believe it is an interference motor, if i've been told correctly.  

Our 2014 v6er has been a good vehicle.  The V6 is pretty gutless but is enough for her.   She has managed to wear her brakes out in 42k miles.  Makes me wonder how I have gotten 116000 out of my Ram 2500's brakes and she cant get 50k out of her's. haha.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Our 2014 v6er has been a good vehicle.  The V6 is pretty gutless but is enough for her.   She has managed to wear her brakes out in 42k miles.  Makes me wonder how I have gotten 116000 out of my Ram 2500's brakes and she cant get 50k out of her's. haha.

Interesting. Not a 4runner, but tacomas are pretty similar and I'm at 130,000 and just now starting to think about changing brake pads.

22 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Sounds like she’s better at drafting and trail braking then you are ;) 

I got the wife one a couple years ago after her RAV4 was snow bound for the second time in a month.  Our is a 2019 sr5 with the v6 and came from the dealer with a lift and little bit bigger tires.  Great 4 wheeler.  Way better in the snow and on rocky washed out forest roads then my ram1500 is.  I think that thing would climb a pine tree if you wanted it to.

• Haha 1

You guys can laugh all you want but I’d take a fully loaded pathfinder all day over a 4Runner. I like Lexus but Toyota’s are just too basic for the money you pay for them. 

• Confused 1

Had a 05 v6er 286000 miles on it when I traded it for a 12 jeep big mistake yota is a rock solid car 6er is plenty and you Damm near can't get them stuck.plus you can fold seats and sleep in them in a pinch no can do in jeep and no lights come on every Damm month for some stupid code.

7 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Had a 05 v6er 286000 miles on it when I traded it for a 12 jeep big mistake yota is a rock solid car 6er is plenty and you Damm near can't get them stuck.plus you can fold seats and sleep in them in a pinch no can do in jeep and no lights come on every Damm month for some stupid code.

Oof 

Starting with 3rd gen ('96-'02) T4R's and later, they are very solid vehicles with excellent 4WD drive trains.

Spend some time HERE.  Lots of good info and smart people.

Dig deep, and get a little lucky in your search, as the world knows what great cars they are as prices have risen sharply for anything below 300k mileage, rust free, mostly accident free and with a decent maintenance history.

I got lucky and bought my '01 three years ago before the prices went cra cra.  At only 178k miles, I fully expect this to last way longer than I will be able to drive it.  It was stock when I bought it.

Good luck,

Eddie

MYT4R.jpg