Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

To Shoot or not to shoot, that is the question....

Just now, firstcoueswas80 said:

It's a good thing that's not how law works, my friend. 

If you have a tag for one unit and shot and killed a buck in another. I think that’s poaching. 

14 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

If you have a tag for one unit and shot and killed a buck in another. I think that’s poaching. 

Barring the existence of power lines of course. 

• Thanks 1

I'll stick to hunting the unit I drew in the unit I drew. Gives me way more room to hunt and doesn't test the boundaries of legality. 

In my younger days I was hunting hippolina in a unit but we were camped in a neighboring unit and G&F stopped by camp and stated that they were glad they didn't find us in the field of the wrong unit. I don't recall , as I was 12 ish, if we were camped near the boundary.  

Point being why risk it? Hunt the boundaries but be in the unit you drew and there's no issue.

Some spots can only be glassed from the wrong side, not encouraging it but if you do it prepare to defend it in court.  If they come out and say its ok to glass from an opposite unit aholes would ruin it for everybody.  

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:46 AM, Roosevelt Mark said:

I say no, can't shoot across water. Can't hunt in wrong unit.

And where does that water thing come from?  Hope you  never go duck or dove hunting!

In 34B/35A, the best place to glass from is the tall hill in 34B into 35B.  Is that considered hunting in the wrong unit?  Well the same WM that would consider driving closer to antelope you spotted with your 20x binos from over 2 miles away as road hunting would consider this as hunting in the wrong unit.  MOST would say it was OK,  NOW SHOOTING in this case would obviously be illegal since you would be shooting across a well defined roadway.  For your case, you act disrespectfully to the WM, you might get a ticket for spite and get to work it out in court if you want to take it that far.  And who knows how that may work out?  This one is certainly a gray area.

• Like 1

Not sure about shooting....but you can legally glass from neighboring unit into yours.  If it came down to technicalities..... You have a hunting license and can legally take coyotes in any unit, regardless of where your deer tag is.  

• Like 2

Biggest problem I see is that many unit boundaries are roads and highways.  Considered it before as only glassing spot where I chose to hunt was in an adjacent unit.  The boundary was indeed a road.  Planned to spot from adjacent unit then stalk into correct unit but ultimately wasn't sure that was legal.  I felt funny about doing it so didn't.