Sign in to follow this  
couesdan

Scammers??

Same about projectiles I’m looking for 

This happened to me a few weeks ago.  Someone got my logins and started posting items "for sale" here and on a motorcycle forum I'm on.  For those of you that don't know, here's how it works:

Most/many discussion forums are very weak on security.  Some will even have a "not secure" sign at the top of your browser next to the web address.  Once a site has been compromised hackers on the 'dark web' gain a list of everybody's username and login password.  Since most people use exact same username & password for many or all of the forums they're on, they only need to hack one set of credentials and then google search your username which will bring up a list of other forums your are on.  They then just keep trying the password for every forum you are on.

If you don't want to have this happen to you, the easiest thing you can do is create a unique password for each forum.  I know it's a real pain in the butt to keep track of a bunch of passwords, but if you don't they only have to get your credentials for one site and then they can easily log in to your account on all the forums you're on that use the same username/password combination.

• Like 1

Latest scammer account is gone. 

Keep the reports coming, and the admins will work as fast as possible to delete/ban.

S.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dsotm said:

@stanley why not make a minimum post count to post in the classifieds?

Possibly a good suggestion, except not certain the web-hosting software has that function available as an option.   Though I'm not sure what the 'right' post count would be to allow to sell in classifieds.   Amanda would need to answer that. (I'll text her to ask....)   Many scammers have resorted to simply sending direct messages to potential victims, so there's that.....

I'll check it out, but at the end of the day the best defense is STRONG scrutiny by members here.  Buyer beware!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsotm said:

@stanley why not make a minimum post count to post in the classifieds?

Many of the scammers do not post FS messages. They simply send PMs to users looking to buy items. Those are the ones to be wary of, especially when they have a low post count & tell you to contact someone else who might have the item. 

I don't think a minimum to post in Classifieds is beneficial. I direct people here on FB that have never even used this website. And I'm new myself. Without that, someone wouldn't have ended up with my Model 70 Super Grade.

2 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

Many of the scammers do not post FS messages. They simply send PMs to users looking to buy items. Those are the ones to be wary of, especially when they have a low post count & tell you to contact someone else who might have the item. 

There's always restricting PMs until a certain threshold is met. Or just not even being able to view the classifieds until it's met.

2 hours ago, dsotm said:

There's always restricting PMs until a certain threshold is met. Or just not even being able to view the classifieds until it's met.

Unfortunately, it's just not always that easy.  The 'out of the box' standard web hosting configuration can be restrictive on modifications.  Like I said prior though, I'll see if Amanda wants to look into it.

S.

I think what Stanley is saying, is that he will field all the phone calls from scammers, and he will phone screen each one.  All CWT get to submit 1 question and Stanley will ask them all of each scammer.

• Haha 1