Sign in to follow this  
pyle762

UPDATE- Got a good one....Looking for pointers for my Uncle's CHAMP elk hunt

Update-

We did wind up on the Bo. As we were heading in to a spot to glass we spotted a group of nice bulls from the truck. Even though he had a CHAMP permit and could have shot from the truck, he got out and put a sneak on them. A cow mew stopped them and he got the big one in the group. He's a nice 5x6 that was pretty busted up from fighting over the ladies. My uncle was happy as could be and never thought he would get a bull close to this big and figured going into the hunt his any elk tag would probably be wrapped around a cow leg.

NOT ASKING FOR SPOTS

My uncle drew the any elk CHAMP tag in Unit 10. It is his first elk tag ever. It starts the second week of Nov. He is fairly old and has some heart issues. He can get out and move around and do some hiking but is pretty limited and can't do anything too strenuous. I will be taking him to help out and pack out the elk. 

I have very limited experience in 10. I guess I am just looking for some pointers for him to help him be successful. Is the Boquillas fees worth it? We can road hunt since he has the CHAMP permit but I have never really been successful doing that, but it that probably the best chance at getting an elk? I am thinking a combination of road hunting, glassing from some easily accessible spots and sitting water mid-day. 

Thanks for any advice.

Screenshot_20211107-181710_Gallery.jpg

20211107_084106(2).jpg

• Like 11
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 1

You could ask the managers at the Boquillas if they will let your uncle sit on a water hole since he has a heart condition. Not sure if they will make an exception for him but worth asking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JSR said:

You could ask the managers at the Boquillas if they will let your uncle sit on a water hole since he has a heart condition. Not sure if they will make an exception for him but worth asking. 

I've never hunted on the Bo. Is it worth spending the cash to do it? 

I’ve never hunted 10 or the Bo so I can’t give you specific advice but I have seen the question of “is it worth it to pay to hunt Boquillas?” come up a few times and the consistent answer seems to be that it is.  The rationale is that it is pretty hard to draw a tag and the fee almost doubles the size of huntable land and why limit yourself on a hard to draw tag?  

As far as guidance on hunting on a CHAMP tag if your uncle is pretty limited as far as mobility goes, road hunting can be pretty successful.  I’d recommend hearing protection if shooting from a vehicle because I’ve been told it can be really loud.  Unit 10 does lend itself to glassing and if he is pretty capable of getting around you may want to check out some glassing points that are near roads as well.  

Sorry I can’t be more specific for your hunt.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Cruise the gas line roads behind the golf course.

• Like 3

Also I believe there is a muzzy bull hunt during the same time. Might run into bull hunters who have located groups..

9 hours ago, Explorer said:

Also I believe there is a muzzy bull hunt during the same time. Might run into bull hunters who have located groups..

Yes it is...only 50 tags plus the 15 CHAMP tags so shouldn't be too crowded 

That might be a pretty tough hunt - I believe there were 225 youth cow tags issued for mid oct., plus all the helpers, that’s a lot  of pressure for your early nov hunt. 
good luck and post up after your hunt

sit water or check the canyons on the Bo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea 2'er said:

That might be a pretty tough hunt - I believe there were 225 youth cow tags issued for mid oct., plus all the helpers, that’s a lot  of pressure for your early nov hunt. 
good luck and post up after your hunt

sit water or check the canyons on the Bo. 

Another 700 ish General cow tags after that. And deer season to. 20-30 years ago 10 was so amazing to hunt. Now I hate it. But, I have still always been able to find elk whenever I go there  and with an any elk road huntable tag you should be able to have an amazing hunt still. 

• Like 1

"20-30 years ago 10 was so amazing to hunt."  So true.  I remember sitting on the gas line hill glassing to the flats by Button tank and having elk, deer, and antelope in the same field of view.  Good times.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

"20-30 years ago 10 was so amazing to hunt."  So true.  I remember sitting on the gas line hill glassing to the flats by Button tank and having elk, deer, and antelope in the same field of view.  Good times.

idk know anything about 10, but there has been some nice muley bucks killed there recently 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

idk know anything about 10, but there has been some nice muley bucks killed there recently 

All units have giant's but 10 has some big bucks and with all the cheap squatter type land around that unit with inhabitants that usually kill whatever they want including cattle.and all the powerlines  around I'm still amazed at the quality of game in 10. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

I remember hearing by first wild burro in that area back around 92 and thinking how odd it was. Now they are more numbers than the elk.