DonkeyMan

Guided Mexico Coues Hunt, how big of a buck should you holdout for?

Hello!

My hunting partner and I are headed for our first Coues Mexico hunt this January.  Money aside, what would size buck would you be expecting assuming you paid a few thousand dollars for (what will likely be) a once in a lifetime hunt?

51 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

A few thousand to a shoot coues deer? They’re like $50 here. 

Yeah I got one of thems tags too,  I am asking opinions of those that have hunted Mexico

• Thanks 1

Size wise it comes down to what the ranch is known for i would think.  I'd be highly disappointed if I paid $3k and saw few to no 105+ bucks.  I've seen some absolute monsters (pics here) come from down there but also saw plenty that would be of typical quality for any AZ southern unit.  If it's a ranch known for big bucks I'd hold out for 105+.  Also I would factor in if they had real good rains down there when it mattered the most and maybe hold out for something even bigger.  

• Like 3

sounds like a conversation you should've had with the outfitter before you booked hunt.

• Like 8

Agree with Lance.  Hard to ask guys that have never been to that ranch before.  Every ranch in Mexico is different.  I know a lot of guys that go to Mexico for coues and I would say they break 105" less than 25% of the time.  They have shot some jumbos as well, but the ranches they hunt they seem to be right around 100's.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZLance said:

sounds like a conversation you should've had with the outfitter before you booked hunt.

We had the conversation.  The expectation has been discussed based on the area.  I’m asking what’s normal vs say expectations on a public land AZ hunt 

Public land in AZ has as good or better quality than 75-80% of Mexico.   Unless the ranch you are hunting has a long proven track record, anything over 105" should be seriously considered. Most want to kill 110+ and in the end shoot something under 100".  The benefits of Mexico include 

1. Limited to no hunting pressure

2. Food 

3. Most of the time limited cell service 

4. Good friends 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Public land in AZ has as good or better quality than 75-80% of Mexico.   Unless the ranch you are hunting has a long proven track record, anything over 105" should be seriously considered. Most want to kill 110+ and in the end shoot something under 100".  The benefits of Mexico include 

2. Food 

4. Good friends 

Couldn't agree more.  These are all the reasons why we booked, and I am confident as these guys have killed some bomber bucks on a variety of nearby ranches.  Its more about the experience for us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

2. Food 

4. Good friends 

Limited cell at best!  Power too!  These guys are perhaps less believable that the Resident Joe Biden.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mountain said:

Maybe you were set up and your the hunted...

That was a cool movie plot with Ice T and Rutget Hauer back in the early 2000's.. My magnum Weatherby may have something to say about that lol

• Haha 1