Sign in to follow this  
Viper

6.5 PRC tight chamber reamer fix?

May be a long shot. Anyone here in the Phoenix area have the corrected reamer (.535") that fixes the tight chamber issue with reloads?...that would not mind sharing/renting it to me. Or a good smith I can take my rifle to, that is familiar with this issue?

If you are not familiar with this issue, there is a long thread on Long Range Only: 

https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/6-5-prc-dies-not-sizing-enough.6782/

I have a prc and kinda sort of expect to have an issue soon seeing how I'm firing all my current brass for the third time. However I know a few guys who are using graduated she'll holders from redding and are at 8+ reloads. It probably says in the link you shared why it won't work, but have you tried the graduated shell holders? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

I have a prc and kinda sort of expect to have an issue soon seeing how I'm firing all my current brass for the third time. However I know a few guys who are using graduated she'll holders from redding and are at 8+ reloads. It probably says in the link you shared why it won't work, but have you tried the graduated shell holders? 

No, I haven't tried that. I have them. That's just pushing the brass further into the die, right? It seems it would bump the shoulders more/too much. The guys on LRO tried custom dies and modifying dies. The conclusion is that it is a chamber tolerance issue and the correct fix is a corrected reamer. I start seeing it on the 3rd firing. I am "renting" a reamer from a LRO member. I should get it by end of the week. I've never done this before so it should be interesting.

16 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Try Todd South at Southern Express in Mesa.

Thanks! I might chicken out on trying this myself, and have him do it.

What brass are you shooting? Creed is correct. I use the that method and and have 10 firings on one lot of ADG brass. I also anneal every other firing.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, Oso Verde said:

What brass are you shooting? Creed is correct. I use the that method and and have 10 firings on one lot of ADG brass. I also anneal every other firing.

It is Hornady brass from factory ammo. That's all I have.

Update: I used the reamer myself. The extended T-handle made it easy to do by hand with the action attached. It only took a couple turns. Now to find time to shoot amd see if it made a difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Update: I used the reamer myself. The extended T-handle made it easy to do by hand with the action attached. It only took a couple turns. Now to find time to shoot amd see if it made a difference. 

Let us know! Please

• Like 1