Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Hard Work Paid Off

We had a great hunt. We had 4 tags and were able to fill 3 of them. We had alot of hard work to reach the elk grounds, and then had hard but successfully hunts. 

My buddy and I took 2 adult onset hunters out on a cow tag. One was on his first big game hunt. We were able to get my buddy on his first hunt a great opportunity, and he closed the deal with a nice clean shot. His cow went DRT.

My long time hunting buddy was able to close the deal too on a nice one too.

Tuesday evening I decided to make a final push as I had to leave Wednesday. We hiked in over 2 miles to get to our spot all uphill. I with about 20 minutes of light left I heard a bull chuckle behind me. I didn't know if he was a single or had a herd. About 10 minutes later the herd made it way into the meadow. The first 5 were a mix of cows and calves. They stayed grouped up so I didn't have a shot. A couple more straggled in, and 1 presented a clean shot so I took it. We packed her out in 1 trip. I am a big dude, but that sucked. I decided it sucked less than hiking another 4 miles round trip though. I took the cut meat and 2 hind quarters. My buddy took the 2 fronts and my rifle. It SUCKED, but we made it and have many awesome experiences and stories from the past week or so. 

Pic 1 is the first timer.

Pic 2 is my long time buddy who got the biggest cow

Pic 3 is upside down, but is mine. 

20211017_183408.jpg

20211015_172132.jpg

20211019_182335.jpg

• Like 15

We had a few access issues we had to take care of...

IMG_7388.jpg

7 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

Congrats and how did I miss this thread!

Here in AZ?  Which unit?

Did you have a chainsaw to take care of the tree?

Eddie 

Cow-Elk.jpg.jpg

We did have a small saw one day 1 which cleared a decent amount. We ran into some big ones though near the end and we sent a guy to buy a bigger chainsaw. We got an 18" stihl and "sally" put in some good work on 3 big pines and 1 oak. 

We spent about 3hrs eachnday on 3 different days to get all the trees cleared so we could get where we were going. Luckily the biggest ones were near where we wanted to be so we hiked past them til we cleared them. 

We were in AZ.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AzRaised08 said:

Way to get 3 of the 4 tags filled! I’m sure it was a super memorable hunt, and the crazy log clearing adds to the sweet success haha

It won't be forgotten soon, that is for sure. It was probably one of the most memorable hunts I have had to date. We had a good mix of good times with friends, and success. 

• Like 1

Great job dude!!

Better than Dec wind in Flag!! 😃

On 11/3/2021 at 6:45 AM, Jazz said:

Great job dude!!

Better than Dec wind in Flag!! 😃

1000%. It was windy a few days, but not as cold as that last Flag hunt. 

I would have shot your tender cow over the others, all day.

Congrats on your success.  That first timers smile is what it's all about!

The funny part is my cow and the new hunters cow are the same size. I am just 300lbs and he is 150lbs. 😂 both were probably 1.5yr old cows. Both of us turned in about 170lbs of meat to the processor between the legs and cut meat bags. 

The one in daylight was 230lbs turn in weight. 

• Like 1