Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Quail Opener

Was tough for us as well.

Went to our usual spots and the birds were very scarce (A few coveys, but VERY small groups....).  Total about-face from last year's boomer season, and a stark reminder how dependent the Gambels are on the winter/spring rain.  Based on the dry winter/spring, I figured it would be average-to-below, but was hopeful there would be enough carry over birds from last year making babies.  Nope.

Nice to see the desert tanks with water from the monsoon, but summer rain doesn't really help the Gambels.  Possibly mearns will be good??  I think they are more 'summer rain' hatchers....

Went out a couple times, the opener was very windy and it was a tough hunt. 
the second time we went we saw quite a few birds, but it was nothing like last year.

The birds seemed to act more like late season birds than usual.

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

There’s a small fraction of the birds there were last year. From what I’ve seen 

Definitely a lot less birds. Did it seem to you that the birds were smarter than usual for early season? Where we were they were acting like late season birds. Possibly it has something to do with atv’s running through the area. 

I haven’t been out but have some buddies that have and the reports are horrible (SE part of state). I was also thinking there would be quite a few hold overs from last year, because I hunted the very end of the season and the numbers were really strong. Guess I was wrong… 

I went out Sunday morning just north of metro phx .

covered up in birds!! 😢only got 4 though 

• Like 3

I've talked to several people who went all directions from Yuma and the most birds anybody shot was 4. I was out most of the day scouting deer Saturday and didn't see one bird. I've had cameras on 3 waterholes since August and I do not have any quail on camera either. Very odd. The only place anybody saw quail was around the farmland in 41 out by Texas Hill. All the desert hunters didn't see anything. We had a ton of birds last year, I even limited out by 10am one morning. I almost feel bad now for shooting so many last year. The rain did not come early enough this year it seems.

I finally got out yesterday. My hot spot from last year failed to show me even one bird, much less the coveys I saw last year.  My other old spot was dry as well.  Only spot I heard birds calling in had 3 groups of hunters in there before me.  Had to eat a frozen pizza for dinner...not what I was planning on.

Head up to areas around Roosevelt Lake. Been there a couple times in October and did see quite a few covies of 10 to 20 birds, although they were on the move…holding tight…and I suck at shooting. 
Still better to hit the hills with my son, than sitting at home. 

• Like 1