Sign in to follow this  
Big or Bust

Fawn crop

I can tell you this, the fawn crop is extremely poor this year, for coues and mule deer in southern Arizona at least.  Very few. I've been out 43 days thus far. 

How does the mid part of the state look?

I haven't had time to get out a lot but based on what I've seen I'd have to agree with that. I'm hunting southern units as well. I did see a doe with twin fawns that still had spots a couple weeks ago. Seems late for them to still have spots but I dunno.

20 minutes ago, Tropicalmulch said:

I would think based on the rainfall and vegetation that survivability of fawns this year would be optimal, plenty of water, feed,, and shelter, of course the same for predators.

I thought the same. Before the rains hit I did wonder how many pregnancies may had not taken because of the drought but by August and September I was pleased to see at least an average fawn drop, at least in the areas I frequent 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tropicalmulch said:

I would think based on the rainfall and vegetation that survivability of fawns this year would be optimal, plenty of water, feed,, and shelter, of course the same for predators.

Would think the same on paper. But it ain't so at least on the 36's..  

In fact, totally coincidental, listen to Jay Scott's recent podcast with Duwayne that I happened to find on the way home today.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

In the last 3 years I’ve got 2 mule deer fawns on cam. Saw one this year. 

You got twins on a Cam. I wanna see! Don't hold out Buddy  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BOB!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Would think the same on paper. But it ain't so at least on the 36's..  

In fact, totally coincidental, listen to Jay Scott's recent podcast with Duwayne that I happened to find on the way home today.. 

I don't even know how to listen in on on a podcast, but I'm open ears if you can summarize. 

On two different scouting trips down in the 36s over the past couple of weeks, I don’t think I saw a single set of twins. Plenty of doe-fawn combos, but no twins. 

Regarding the big summer rains, similar to the Gambles, I suspect it was too late to make an impact on the fine crop.

S.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I spent the youth hunt in 19a and was amazed at the number of fawns. It seemed like every doe had one.

22 same thing don't think have seen this many before was telling the kids it's crazy seemed like every doe had a fawn or two in tow

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, WHALE said:

22 same thing don't think have seen this many before was telling the kids it's crazy seemed like every doe had a fawn or two in tow

Agree, 22 was packed full