codyhuntsaz

FPS Data

54 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

I lowered my 7mm 160 Accubond velocity by 25 FPS and it is < .1MOA difference at 500 yards.

Any particular reason you are using a 100 yard zero for a hunting rifle instead of 200?

Thank you for checking that for me. To be honest I’ve always sighted in at 100 yards and then verify drops usually out to 300. It’s easier, for me, to get an exact zero at 100 than it is at 200. And I was under the impression that with this rangefinder it would give me the correct dope no matter what range you’re sighted in at. I did verify hits at 200 on paper and 300 on a metal plate.

Great, whatever works for you is all that matters! 

I have enjoyed 200 yard zeros on my hunting rifles knowing that there is no more than 2.4" of variance out to 250. For hunting purposes, I've avoided dialing unless I have to, but that is definitely just a personal preference.

Good luck on your hunts!

• Like 4

Do you trust your chronograph readings?  Personally with the data you listed  I can’t see any reason to not trust it. If you trust the data the low value was a real number that affects your ES and SD…statistically you can’t simply through the low value out without a really good explanation of why that data point is bad. 

the totality of the data represents real world numbers. You should use all of your data and use it as your velocity. You might not be happy with it but you’ll be better off using the actual numbers rather then trying to fudge them. If you don’t like it work up a different load. 

• Like 1

If you have a 100 yard zero, are you sure about being 1" HIGH at 200?  That does not sound right?

And what round are you shooting?

A sampling of 6 shots is a little low for factory ammo to get a true ES/SD.  That one round that is 50fps slower than the rest could be a fluke...but then again, the 5 that were within 20fps could have been a lucky 5 rounds that were close.  I have seen, quite often, 50-120fps ES in factory ammo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

If you have a 100 yard zero, are you sure about being 1" HIGH at 200?  That does not sound right?

And what round are you shooting?

A sampling of 6 shots is a little low for factory ammo to get a true ES/SD.  That one round that is 50fps slower than the rest could be a fluke...but then again, the 5 that were within 20fps could have been a lucky 5 rounds that were close.  I have seen, quite often, 50-120fps ES in factory ammo.  

The 1” high at 200 was using the fps from the box of ammo (not actual fps)and the info my RF spit out (with a faulty fps and BC), basically useless info. These are Winchester deer season XP 150gr.