Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

PSA For Quartering Game

I just wanted to put this in the air to hopefully help others learn how to help make life easier while cleaning game. We were lucky enough to get to cut up 3 cow elk over the last week. The below items were invaluable. 

1. Bring a clean painter's plastic drop cloth to put the mest on. The heavy duty plastic drop cloth from Home Depot can be cut in half and used for 2 different animals. 

2. BRING KNEE PADS. This was BY FAR the most helpful thing I added to my pack for comfort this season. They were worth there weight in gold. We cut up 2 elk a few years ago and my knees killed because I didn't have knee pads. 

3. Shape knives. I have a couple types of traditional blades that I love, and my buddy had a Outdoor Edge replacement blade skinner that was great. I have a small Gerber replaceable blade that I don't like, it is to small. This thing felt like a knife and you could work it easily. My traditional blades are a benchmade and a Knives of Alaska. Your choice, bring good blades. 

4. Good game bags. Don't cheap out get something that works. I have found I like the black ovis XL bags. They are easy to clean, have reflective strips sewn in, and are strong. 

Screenshot_20211021-173447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-173537_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-174520_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

King size pillow cases work great too.  They are super cheap, so you can either throw them away if they are really nasty or wash them and use them again.  On deer hunts I can fit all of the meat from a boned out deer in one pillow case.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I just wanted to put this in the air to hopefully help others learn how to help make life easier while cleaning game. We were lucky enough to get to cut up 3 cow elk over the last week. The below items were invaluable. 

1. Bring a clean painter's plastic drop cloth to put the mest on. The heavy duty plastic drop cloth from Home Depot can be cut in half and used for 2 different animals. 

2. BRING KNEE PADS. This was BY FAR the most helpful thing I added to my pack for comfort this season. They were worth there weight in gold. We cut up 2 elk a few years ago and my knees killed because I didn't have knee pads. 

3. Shape knives. I have a couple types of traditional blades that I love, and my buddy had a Outdoor Edge replacement blade skinner that was great. I have a small Gerber replaceable blade that I don't like, it is to small. This thing felt like a knife and you could work it easily. My traditional blades are a benchmade and a Knives of Alaska. Your choice, bring good blades. 

4. Good game bags. Don't cheap out get something that works. I have found I like the black ovis XL bags. They are easy to clean, have reflective strips sewn in, and are strong. 

Screenshot_20211021-173447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-173537_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-174520_Chrome.jpg

Good stuff. Especially the knee pads. You totally nailed that one.

For some reason, (age??) I knelt down with my right knee for about 2-4 minutes while I was getting the backstrap. Couldn't get up. Couldn't straighten the leg. We were way out there. Took an hour to hobble to the Ranger and get back on the road. Knee pads will be a must.

Doc said it was just massively inflamed and I'm living on ibuprofen for a week. 

37 minutes ago, NMBPMAN said:

King size pillow cases work great too.  They are super cheap, so you can either throw them away if they are really nasty or wash them and use them again.  On deer hunts I can fit all of the meat from a boned out deer in one pillow case.

Exactly, I went to BigLots for mine. Two for $5, made carrying the elk quarters real easy, super strong and even zippered to keep the bugs and debris out.

• Like 1

The pillow cases are good too, the zippered ones are a good idea. I like the bags I use because you can use the draw string to hang them with from a tree or what not. They are reflective too. 

One of the last rear quarters we had we hung in a tree and came back for it in the dark. It was super easy to spot. The headlamp made it shine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Doc said it was just massively inflamed and I'm living on ibuprofen for a week. 

CBD balm or roll ons work wonders on knees. If you have not tried them you should. 

CBDMD is a good brand. I use their liquid tinctures for joint pains and muscle aches too. 

I almost never use ibuprofen now after switching to good CBD products. 

• Like 3