Sign in to follow this  
Silver Bullet

Question about staying warm

Perhaps an odd question, but I need some advice. I was drawn for the late December Bull hunt in 22N. My son and I have done this same hunt a number of times over the years and we both have a hereditary circulation issue where our feet and hands suffer when it’s cold. We both wear quality insulated glove and boots, and use the hand/feet warmers  but it’s not enough. Been thinking about the battery heater socks and gloves, so would like to hear if anyone has used them and if there are recommendations which brand works best?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I used them and they sucked!  I have similar issues.  When I started using down jackets I stayed a lot warmer!!

• Like 1

Get quality boots and gloves, then preheat them.  If you are in a camp trailer, put them open end on a vent.  If you are tent camping, get a boot dryer and use it for a while before you put boots on, works for gloves too.

And remember the tighter the boot fits the more R-value you lose when the socks are compressed. Might be worthwhile to get bigger boots with more foot space inside. Look for ones where you can tigjtwn the foot to a seperate tension of the ankle. Lowa makes lots of models this way so tou can keep your foot loose but ankle tight. 

Tough go here...the cold ain't too fun for AZ natives. The older I get less fun it is to endure and I'm only 38. Only other thing that's not mentioned is to MOVE.... get that blood moving...walk in place, pushups, arm circles...... not the easiest  solution but it should work......practice these moves before you go and it'll be easier to make yourself do on the MTN. Good luck on the hunt! 

Guest akaspecials

Battery boot warmers have always failed me.

I carry a sleeping bag for the blind or to glass from and/or throw these on my feet : 

https://enlightenedequipment.com/sidekicks-custom/

These are an alternative if you want to be able to walk a little and aren't weight conscience. (in camp walking, not hiking). They can also be used as liners in some boots for hiking. 

https://40below.com/product/40-below-camp-booties-synthetic-insulated/

I wear bulky oversized slip on winter boots for cold weather hunting that have lots of dead space for air pockets and room for thick wool socks with synthetic liners. Not sure what kind of insulated boots you're using, but if they aren't big and bulky, it is impossible for them to have sufficient air gaps for heat retention. 

Military surplus bunny boots could be an extreme option. 

Throw away the gloves, get mittens  and a set of good liners. 

Fire.

Get good gaiters. If you can keep your feet dry that's half the battle. Several years ago I almost died from the cold, I chose not to do that again. Keep moving, and get wool and down, and you'll be ok.

I will add that glassing in a sleeping bag is money if a small fire is not possible. But better to have a small safe fire than freeze to death, trust me.

3 hours ago, longshooter said:

Road hunt with the Heater on. Problem solved.

Like he said, it's all about being comfortable and the experience.  You can use a truck to your advantage and shorter walks to glassing spots etc and keep moving. Hit spot after spot, especially early when it will be colder.  

Locate, and go for it. Don't walk around and be miserable unless you got a honey hole. Jmo. I want to have fun, 

Jmo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Like he said, it's all about being comfortable and the experience.  You can use a truck to your advantage and shorter walks to glassing spots etc and keep moving. Hit spot after spot, especially early when it will be colder.  

Locate, and go for it. Don't walk around and be miserable unless you got a honey hole. Jmo. I want to have fun, 

Jmo

This^^^

all about the experience and having fun in my opinion 

• Thanks 1