Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Chamber polishing method to remove a bur?

I'm curious what is your method to polish/remove a bur in the rifle chamber? It is leaving a slight scuff and scratch on the shoulder of the casing.

Case scuff.jpg

I've seen a green scotch guard pad used to polish a chamber, but I don't know if it would remove that. Is that from a factory barrel?

How is the accuracy? I would fix it rather than sell it and have the buyer get stuck with it. I've been on the receiving end of what I though was a fair deal only to find out differently a few times.

Are you sure it’s from something in the chamber and not happening while chambering a round like the mag box or feed ramp or something doing it? I would get a bore scope in there before you do any polishing. Also if you do choose  or need to polish I would use some 320 grit Emery cloth. Don’t want it to smooth in there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

Bet you it is more than likely from the ejector slamming the case over on extraction and catching the raceway.

Exactly!! I took it to Todd South and that was his  consensus. He bore scoped it and didn't see anything that would cause that. He demonstrated with an unattached action how the brass hits the side of the ejection port when extracted. I checked my 1x fired brass, pre-tumbled, and found the same marks. I guess I was going down a rabbit trail for nothing Lol.

• Like 2