Boarman03

My first large animal and black powder hunt in AZ turned out to be awesome!!

I had Todd South, Southern Xpress Rifles, build me a custom black powder rifle. Before it was finished I put in for Mule Deer at the very last moment. To my surprise, I got drawn.

Todd helped me plan my hunt since he was much more familiar with that area. We are pretty close and he took time off just to help me out.

Our experience was something a movie could be made from. Almost no deer, or tracks, a crazy lady shooting her pistol a couple of times and demanding we speak with her, a AZGF officer who was very humourous about my minor violation (hadn't signed my tag quite yet). A wonderful Mule Deer camping out behind our cabin in town, finding four bucks but too late to shoot, losing my glasses, but finding them again, and shooting a nice Buck at 320 yards with a gusting 15 to 40mph cross wind. Eternal thanks to Todd South for his great knowledge and help.

I thought we were going to be out there 10 days, done in 4!

IMG_20211026_113248~2.jpg

IMG_20211026_070555.jpg

• Like 26
  • Great Buck! 2
  • Wow! 1

Nicely done. Todd is a great guy! That’s an awesome buck too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that is me with the buck on my back carrying my now priceless rifle! Love that gun!

Congratulations sound like an adventurous hunt that is a great buck 

• Thanks 1

Congrats! Really nice buck! I was at Todd's shop today and he told me all about it. He is a really nice guy.

• Like 2

Here's the rifle, as requested. I took the bottom picture, Todd took the one with me looking under the hood of the truck cab in the background.

IMG_20211028_005434.jpg

IMG_20211027_090811.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dsotm said:

Let's see the gun and some details on it! 

Posted as requested. Thanks for asking. Gun has less than 15 rounds down it, all but two used to sight in the gun. One round was so Todd's Friend could try it out. The other non-sighting round was the hunting round. I believe the total round count to be 11, but I may be off by two or three more. Todd did an excellent job helping me sight it in and learning to use it.

Todd and I sighted at 100 yards, then two or three shots at at 610 yards. That's all. One of his rancher friends shot it and then the kill shot at 320 yards with that gusting wind by me. I was sure I couldn't have hit it, but took the shot by the book and got "lucky" or "blessed". That shot in and if it's self was a great experience! Plus we had all of the other drama in the previous days.

Crazy Lady Amber was the most dramatic and truthfully somewhat scary. She is an example of who shouldn't own a gun!