Planning my first means hunt with a few friends this season. We've all been hunting gambles for years with dogs. Looking at gmu 35a&b. 

Anyone have any tells, signs or tactics that would be helpful in locating birds? Or just tips for a successful hunt?

Roosting or feeding tendencies? Anything you think would be helpful I am most appreciative. 

Eat alot of quail jerky before your hunt.the scent coming out the other end of you attracts mearns real good.

I’m a total novice, having only hundred Mearns a few times. After many years without a dog though, I’ve got a new Vizsla pup so I’ll likely get out this winter.

Here’s what little I know:  
A - Those suckers roost on the ground! (Was hard for me to believe at first…)  Sort of for this reason, a buddy of mine who initially took me Mearns hunting years ago would always start a little later than normal. He said it would give them a chance to get out of there a little roosting spot and wander around and spread some scent for the dogs.  
B-   In the areas I’ve hunted them, they would feed on little tubers and roots and things. If you knew what to look for you could find where they have been digging up the tubers to munch on.  We would use this as sort of a way to locate new areas as we were scouting.  

Good luck!!!!

S.

Get an early coues tag in a southern unit, carry a rifle , and  they will fly up your pant leg and cause you to poop your pants. Works every time for me.  When I lived in Vail and went after them with my Brit , it was hit or miss for me.  Beautiful birds.... good luck!

• Like 4

Web's book would be a helpful guide.  https://www.amazon.com/Wingshooters-Guide-Arizona-Guides/dp/1885106416/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wingshooters+guide+to+arizona&qid=1635697534&qsid=144-1470767-4057353&s=books&sr=1-3&sres=1885106416&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

Give em time in the morning for the frost to melt and let them move to leave some scent.  Quit hunting mid afternoon to let busted coveys call and regroup so they can huddle and stay warm for the night. Don't hunt down and shoot every last bird in the covey.  Enjoy watching your dog work.  Look for 30% oak overstory, good tall grass, and scratchings on the ground  Oxalis is a preferred food.  Bring combs to brush out the stickers in the dog's hair and look under their eye lids for grass seeds.  Bells, beepers, gps collars are good as every season has tales of lost dogs.

• Like 1

mearns are pretty simple once you figure them out.   Most guys will pile in on each other in a few "hot spots".   Personally, I think the spirit of mearns hunting is to explore new country with your dogs and enjoy the experience.   

Here is what you need to know about finding and killing mearns.   Typically they will be found between 4000-6000 feet of elevation.   The canopy should be about 50% oaks and if you aren't happy walking up and down the sides of the hills then that is even better.    Grass is a huge key for mearns.   The taller the better.   If cattle have it chewed down then move to a different location.   Moisture is your friend.   If it would rain on a Monday I would plan on hunting on Tuesday.    The wetter the better for scenting conditions.  I would never start hunting mearns before 9am and later is better.   If your dog (or you) can only handle half a day then start at noon.  Look for scratching.  If you see leaves all turned up everywhere then there are birds in the area.   Mearns will hang out in the same area all the time.   If you find a covey in an area one weekend they will be within 25-75 yards the next weekend.   I have had dozens of times where I've shot at birds standing in the same exact spot more than once.   Lastly but really important.   learn to shoot your gun.   You walk to far to miss mearns and with all honesty.    Mearns are very easy to hit if you flush them in front of dogs.    You should kill birds with the majority of the shots you shoot.   If you don't then you need to learn to shoot the gun before you spend all day walking up and down hills to only miss birds constantly.    Plus, your dog will not think kind things of you if you can't do your part.   I would shoot a 20 gauge with #8 or 9 shot and the most wide open pattern I could get.   There were many times where the gun would go bang, bang, bang and 3 birds would hit the ground.   I know it seems obvious that shooting is important but most guys don't kill mearns because they can't shoot their gun.     

There is an old saying.    "Go to Gardner Canyon and look at the mearns country.   Then go somewhere else and find the same country and hunt them"    The point being is Gardner has some great country and WAY to many people.   Typically the places I would hunt birds would have no hunters.   I would keep searching areas until I found good country and no people.   Once you get away from all the people and learn how to hunt mearns they are a ton of fun.   We would easily shoot limits of mearns with 3-4 guys every time I would go out.   The amazing part......I have many places where I've never seen another hunter after hunting the locations for more than a decade.   Learn to hunt them and get away from people.   Once you find YOUR honey holes it will be a blast.......and don't tell a single person where you went.       

• Like 6

Thank you guys so much for the info.  Ordered the book and will plan a sight seeing trip to Gardner Canyon.  

On 10/31/2021 at 9:35 AM, Red Rabbit said:

Web's book would be a helpful guide.  https://www.amazon.com/Wingshooters-Guide-Arizona-Guides/dp/1885106416/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wingshooters+guide+to+arizona&qid=1635697534&qsid=144-1470767-4057353&s=books&sr=1-3&sres=1885106416&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

Give em time in the morning for the frost to melt and let them move to leave some scent.  Quit hunting mid afternoon to let busted coveys call and regroup so they can huddle and stay warm for the night. Don't hunt down and shoot every last bird in the covey.  Enjoy watching your dog work.  Look for 30% oak overstory, good tall grass, and scratchings on the ground  Oxalis is a preferred food.  Bring combs to brush out the stickers in the dog's hair and look under their eye lids for grass seeds.  Bells, beepers, gps collars are good as every season has tales of lost dogs.

RR - just finished the book. Great recommendation.  Thank you! Several moments when he described situations that I now recognize like pressing running birds to a break in cover, ravine or hill top.