Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Any Border Issues 36C ?

We always camp in the Elkhorn Ranch area.  Often there are other camps around.  Never personally had a problem there.

Can't really speak to any place to avoid, as I've pretty much always camped at the Elkhorn (even if hunting a different part of the unit).

Good luck!

S.

• Like 3

I hunt and work down by the border. 
Generally down by the border is safe, I work down there and see it all and still hunt down there and camp alone. 
With that being said there is illegal traffic. 
As a general rule you leave them alone they will leave you alone. 
Do not leave any valuables in view. Often times camps will be gone through as they will be looking for water or food. Anything north of Tucson should be pretty safe. Depending on where you are hunting on the border there are some common drug and human trafficking routes taken. I would not be too worried about the traffic. Enjoy your hunt and don’t keep anything in camp that you can’t handle losing.  

• Like 3

Lots and lots of illegal traffic through there and some of the scary stuff. Like already said, try to camp near others (Elkhorn is good), bring valuables with you and leave water outside your truck as goodwill.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Heard some but never saw them. 

even after 12 years you've never seen any!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We had the first hunt in 36C. There is no longer a border patrol checkpoint near Elk Horn ranch. We had illegals come thru our evening hunt first day. Found fresh trash and camps each day hiking in.  Helicopters flying low and then lights and sirens flying down the ranch road we were off of the last day.  Luckily we got it done and got out of there in 3 nights. 

I'd say it's the worst I've ever seen there.  GL

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, Jnj13 said:

We had the first hunt in 36C. There is no longer a border patrol checkpoint near Elk Horn ranch. We had illegals come thru our evening hunt first day. Found fresh trash and camps each day hiking in.  Helicopters flying low and then lights and sirens flying down the ranch road we were off of the last day.  Luckily we got it done and got out of there in 3 nights. 

I'd say it's the worst I've ever seen there.  GL

The checkpoint was back up this past weekend.

• Like 1