Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Heel Lift in Stiffer Boots

In between (half) sizes with merino wool hunting socks, I sized up and upgraded to a new pair of Crispis. I wore them comfortably for a full day of yard work to break them in and put 8 rough miles on them this past weekend. 

The steep inclines especially caused some uncomfortable heel lift, almost to the point of blistering. I did some reading and it appears there are few options - continue break-in, lacing techniques (loosen toe box), purchasing insoles, fill with water and wear them as they dry, etc. 

I'm curious what CWT wisdom has to offer, please?

I’ve had good luck with my Crispis by altering the lacing technique. Not sure I can describe it but I manage to lock the heel in better. I think I found the specific pattern/technique online but I don’t remember exactly. I do remember trying a couple different ways before settling on one that worked best for me. 

I am a huge proponent of using sock liners.

On big hunts, I would carry extras and give them to clients when they started hurting.

They couldn't believe the difference either.

• Like 2

I'm sure everyone's foot is a little different, but for me it took changing out the factory insole and a lacing technique to make my Crispi Nevada's fit like they should. When I bought mine at Ross the guys there showed me some different ways to lace them that actually made a difference to the way the boot fit (at least for my feet). Might be worth a trip over to Ross to have them show you if you're not too far away.

Overall they've been very good boots for me. Hope you find a technique that works.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input. I'll have more to report back after the weekend but it doesn't seem like the easy fixes of liner socks or lacing techniques may not do it alone but they do help. Probably going to try insoles next. 

I had a pair of crispi thors and experienced the exact same issues. I tried everything except wetting them and wearing them dry. I am a wild land fireman by trade and have tried all of the best boots and the crispi was the last one on the list. Good solid boot and I'm not knocking them at all. My god son is wearing those boots this year and he loves them. They just weren't for me. Try a surgeon knot at the ankle. Don't keep fighting it. Lots of good boots out there. Good luck. 

My kennetreks had heel slip issues until they were well broken in. I loosened up the lowers/toe box and used a locking knot just above the eyelets before the quick laces to help lock that down and then laced the uppers pretty snug. Once they broke in they were great.

I appreciate the additional responses and another thank you to Chef for the sock liner suggestion. I gave an extra pair I just bought to a friend in camp and it changed the game for his boot fit. 

I started the surgeon knot at the ankle this weekend and with the liners and 12 miles, things improved greatly. I'm not sure I'm 100% out of the woods but the loosened toe box at least felt like the most help so far. That locking knot above it will get a try too.

• Like 1

Sounds like the heel lift info you're getting is solid.

Regarding potential hot-spots/blisters (regardless of boot brand), BIG +1 on Hector's comment for sock liners.   I found Wrightsocks at REI a few years ago, and now will not hike with any other sock.  The have the liner built in, and have been a game changer for me on hikes/hunts ever since.

S.