Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

Kaibab Report

Just listened to Duwane Adams interview on the Jay Scott podcast.  He said the 12AW early hunt was the worst he had seen in his 40 years up there.  The deer were spread out from up top to down low and very "pockety".  The biggest deer they saw was probably a 170s buck.  He felt like all the guides up there had a pretty similar experience this year. 

Pretty depressing to hear that.  I have been so excited to get to go with my wife who has a tag this year.  Just curious on yall's thoughts?  I appreciated the couple stories on the hunt so far but was curious if any of you others who had been up there had similar experiences?  It seems like tag #'s have been decreased up there in the hopes of getting back to the glory days but it doesn't seem to be rebounding very quickly.  I know last years fawn recruitment was way down.  Do you think the monsoon rains came too late this year for antler growth?

I knew a few guides up there and what Duwane said is true. I can tell you a ton of deer moved down after the snow on Tuesday during the early hunt and I mean hundreds and that's no exaggeration! But all the deer down low that I glassed were smaller bucks at least for us. The bigger bucks were stuck in the transition in the oaks still. We saw smaller bucks lip curling and sniffing does already. Trust me by the time you get there there will be some really good bucks down in the low country. Just my thoughts

• Like 2

Last year was probably the best year on the Kaibab in a decade. The drought and winter range conditions hurt the fawn recruitment and certainly some of the herd numbers. However, I would say it’s tough to categorize the rebound as not happening very fast since it’s really only been a few months and not even a full season. Finally, tough conditions and pocketed deer isn’t necessarily an indication that the late hunt will be a flop. One big storm that puts significant snow in the transition range will force those mature bucks down into the winter range.

• Like 2

With the decrease in doe tags and the new burns up there i would imagine the real results will stsrt showing in another 3-5 years.

Also the rut usually kicks in on the second hunt. Hunt hard you will be fine. 

• Like 4

The full moon sucked.    We hunted the west side.   I thought the experience was awful.    So much pressure and road hunters and hunters in general everywhere.  I’ve usually hunted the east side.  Less deer but less hunters too.   It’s more intimate and less of a rat race.   

im going to shift gears and move away from the Kaibab.   The late hunts are probably better with less tags but 375 guys racing around with multiple trucks on a ridge sucks.  

• Like 2

Last time I had a a 12AW tag was in 2006 and I believe there were 700 tags, maybe more 

• Like 1

I heard of guys on the early hunt seeing 200" bucks, but they were tough to hunt.  I did not see many brutes taken.

I bet the big Magnum burn really changed the landscape up there. Meaning relearning the unit on the west side.  In another 2-5 years, watch what happens if we get the moisture going like the late summer rains we had.  Came too late for the northern units, but the desert units will probably be great this year.

Not to sound harsh, but a lot of the guides are using "Detroit Blinds" almost exclusively.  If the bucks are in the transition, those guides won't be seeing them.  Also, with most tanks holding water, the bucks are spread out instead of congregating to the GFD trick tanks like the last few years. Thus, saying the unit sucks.

I would bet the late hunt is going to be a different story if the bucks keep moving down.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I heard of guys on the early hunt seeing 200" bucks, but they were tough to hunt.  I did not see many brutes taken.

I bet the big Magnum burn really changed the landscape up there. Meaning relearning the unit on the west side.  In another 2-5 years, watch what happens if we get the moisture going like the late summer rains we had.  Came too late for the northern units, but the desert units will probably be great this year.

Not to sound harsh, but a lot of the guides are using "Detroit Blinds" almost exclusively.  If the bucks are in the transition, those guides won't be seeing them.  Also, with most tanks holding water, the bucks are spread out instead of congregating to the GFD trick tanks like the last few years. Thus, saying the unit sucks.

I would bet the late hunt is going to be a different story if the bucks keep moving down.  

I’ve heard this said before…. That is unbelievable that a professional guide would drive people around Road hunting, and the clients are OK with it…..

SMH

4 hours ago, 1denogean said:

whats a Detroit blind?

Usually a Ford, Chevy or Dodge product

• Like 2

Late Hunt will be just fine. I heard of good Hunters having a tough time many different years on the early hunt. No need to panic.!.............BOB!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1denogean said:

whats a Detroit blind?

A blind, made of steel, usually in Detroit, with a motor and 4 wheels.....

• Like 2

Spent a full day in 12Ae today first time in the unit, have hunted West before. Saw 40-50 does not a single buck… they have to be here somewhere. Hunt starts tomorrow 

• Like 1