Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

Outfitter tent

Looking for recommendations on a good outfitter tent with a stove.  Sold my trailer in lieu of a place up north but still need something cozy for hunting trips.  I’m thinking 14x16 or so.  

davis looks solid.  Any other thoughts?   I want to do a floor to keep critters out.  What are you guys running floor wise?  Some are saying it’s not the way to go

thx

Davis tent and awning is a very good company, as far a flooring I like to use an 18 oz tarp that fits the tent well then I put two fire/welders blankets under the stove. 

Consider having the floor sewn in.  I have a buddy who has a Davis with the floor sewn in and it is super nice!!  I run one of those thick vinyl tarps that are recycled billboards for my floor.  Then I put down a peace of thin carpet, makes it super nice.  

A large vinyl tarp with a couple packing blankets over is what I use to use.  I was just at harbor freight yesterday and they had large blankets for $6 

FYI sewn in floors must use a traditional tent frame you cant have an internal frame. I haven't ever had a snake in my tent, they have a sod skirt so you tuck it under the internal frame then lay down your heavy tarp and place all your camping gear in there its sealed up.

I dont like the sewn in floors they are hard to clean, heavy and they wear out fast.

3 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

Do you guys worry about snakes spiders etc getting in under the tent?  I am thinking sewn in floor but it’s more cumbersome to setup I am reading…

I think setting up the internal frame and the traditional frame are about the same amount of work and time.  My next one will have a sewn in floor.  

No floor here, we use the big outdoor rugs for a RV. It leaves the front of the tent open for the stove and muddy boots, but gives a clean place for the cots and getting dressed in the morning. It’s easier to dry the tent out before storage without a floor and your tent will last a lot longer!!

I have the davis 16x20 internal frame with no floor and it's amazing no critters inside at all I just use a big tarp and a big piece of vinyl for the floor. This thing will last a lifetime for sure. I have friends who use outdoor rugs and those are great too and way light

16 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

Do you guys worry about snakes spiders etc getting in under the tent?  I am thinking sewn in floor but it’s more cumbersome to setup I am reading…

Yes.

More than once I've had snakes trying to get in. The Alaknak fixes that.

11 hours ago, bdhuntr said:

No floor is my preference. Sod cloth seals the bottom. You can enter with your muddy boots on :)

I was wondering about the sod cloth.  Do you fold it inside and put dirt on it or is it heavy enough on its own to keep snakes and varmints out. 

11 hours ago, Green Bullet said:

I was wondering about the sod cloth.  Do you fold it inside and put dirt on it or is it heavy enough on its own to keep snakes and varmints out. 

Montana canvas tent here. I fold the sod cloth to the outside and cover. 

Been in a floorless and no snakes, but mice get in.  Theyll go for food if not in a sealed bin.  Left bread and hot coco packets and next morning been chewed.

Best way to avoid critters, Four Seasons hotel, but you'll see plenty of cougars in the lounge, 🤣 

• Haha 1