Adicted

Need Help.. Missed biggest deer of my life

4 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

Did you check your range finder out to 400yds afterwards? Seems like the only thing not addressed here.

Was high. Thats why i afjusted the bullet speed in br2 to correct itself so i could finish hunt

It's gotta be the range finder.  Try changing the battery or creating a new profile and see what happens.

• Like 6

I would say excitement if it hadn’t been for happening with both rifles and then verifying later. Last year I ranged for a friend twice and gave him the reading, he dialed and shot. He missed high by 2’ twice. I ranged again, this time steadying on my tripod, this time about 150 yards closer so he dialed the right moa and hit his mark. Before hiking to the buck, I ranged that area again and figured I was hitting a boulder behind the buck up the ridge that was about 150 yards further out. The spotter had the fever that time!  

I hate that feeling you got right now! 

Did you field verify the info the range finder was giving you before season. Im curious how you switched it from the 300 profile to the creedmore one so fast as mine takes an eternity.

1. did you have the right profile loaded?

2. is all the info correct in the rangefinder?  G1 vs G7 and scope height 

Judging by your pic, it is definitely the rifle. The twist should be on the inside of the barrel not outside. When both of your rifles shot high, was they both off on just elevation or windage also? If just elevation I would guess your range finder. The old saying GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out.

• Haha 2

Was it hot?  I've experienced something similar waiting for a buck to get up and my barrel/ammo was exposed to heat for an extended period of time. 

• Like 1

Common denominator seems to be the rangefinder and its output. If you have shot a lot you should have a pretty good idea/record of what drop you are using at usually using at 400 yards. Was the drop the BR2 close to this number? Go shoot at 400 with out using drop data from BR2 and just see how many MOA it takes to hit dead center. Then compare that data with the what your rangefinder says . If the BR2 is correct you can rule that out.

What kind of scopes are you using? Were you shooting at a funny angle? I have seen people that shoot at a funny angle  or hold their head at a funny angle behind the scope that are almost looking down into the scope instead of straight through have an “optical illusion” almost and hit 4ft high and or 4ft  to the side at 400 yards to the side because of this weird “parallax” issue at The issue seemed more noticeable and more of a problem on lower end glass scopes. Once we got them squared up good behind the gun the problem went away.
Hope you figure it out soon. Stuff like that bugs the crap out of me. 

• Like 1

I have the same range finder and just took my buck in Colorado at 530 yards, worked like a charm. 2 things I can think of…..I’ve heard that these can develop a “beam divergence.” Meaning, you’re aiming the box at your target, but that’s not actually where the laser is going. Possibly ranging something further. When it gave you the dial to MOA, didn’t that immediately send up a red flag? If I ranged 400 and it told me to dial up 18.2 MOA (example) I would have immediately known something was wrong, should be closer to 3.5 or so. The only other thing that will give you drastically different outputs would be your G1, G7 input. If you’re shooting a bullet with a G7 drag and you enter it as a G1 drag, it will have you dial up significantly more MOA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you dial moa instead of clicks in the excitement?  For example instead of 24 clicks, dialed 24 moa, about 95 clicks.  That would have been around 12' high for 400 yds.  It would be hard to tell exactly how high you shot without a steep backdrop behind the target.

• Like 2