Adicted

Need Help.. Missed biggest deer of my life

On 11/9/2021 at 12:37 PM, Adicted said:

First let me start out and say that I am NOT an expert shooter, but I have a pretty good grasp on it.  I have shot with a few of you here and also have a personal long range course I built 435-1200 yds and a mile gong.  Lance can attest to it as he has shot it.  I make my own ammo and had Eric (AXIS WORKS)  build my 300 win mag out of his house before he blew up.  I decided this year to step my game up again.  I suppressed my rifle, change my ammo, and even picked up a Gunwerks BR2.  I have been shooting the past month just lights out up by my house.  I have never been more confident in my shooting game.  I also built a 6.5 creedmore which is also linked to the BR2 and shooting lights out.

We get drawn for down south and opening morning, i glass up a beast to me.. (bigger than the big buck i will share below).  I ranged him at 400ish and BOOM!!!.  4-6 ft high...WTF..  Rack another round BOOM 4 ft high.  HOLY CHIT!!!  I'm now freaking out at the biggest deer of my life.  400 yds to me is a chip shot.  My son then grabs the creedmore and says hurry use this.  With the suppressor the deer is just slowly walking away.  He stops, turns, BOOM...Even the 6.5 is shooting crazy high.  Like 3-5 ft high.  Deer then goes away.  Everything I did all year, was worth CHIT when it came down to it.  My kids and I are 17 for 17 with my 300 on deer 400-800 yds.  

Now I'm so bummed and confused.  I'm just lost.  How is it 3 days earlier my rifles are shooting absolutely perfect to 900 yds.  at all angles. Now just trash.  I head back to camp. Here is a list of things i did.

1. Checked zero at camp and both rifles still good

2.  Both rifles have zero stop and were at zero

3.  Ammo is what I made and is solid

4.  3 days earlier shooting with both rifles and BR2 worked perfect

5.  Checked BR2 yardage to other range finders and reading perfect

6.  I then went out to shoot at some rocks at all different ranges and was way off.  several feet high and many different ranges.  In order to make this work for my hunt I had to turn up the velocity in the br2 up 400fps.  I went from 3050 fps to 3450 and it was close. My round is not shooting 3450. Thats just what I put it to hit targets for this hunt.  Thats how we smoked the deer below.  Was a complete chit show and I still have no idea what happened.  

Was the br2 taking the new weather elements into effect, but being really drastic?  To shoot 6 ft high at 400 yds I would have to have been at like 16 moa.  I was at like 4.  

If anyone has had an issue like this before please talk to me.  I have a rifle bull tag coming up and am flat out lost.  This happened to both my rifles.  Not one.

494618222_Buck2.thumb.png.1639576c01be66a8e63d30b01ccfc95d.png

115900389_Buck1.thumb.jpg.185a362b7985fde1a5993f32fd91435b.jpg

Welcome to the club.  I could write a book called, Big bucks I’ve missed, and other wilderness nightmares.  

• Haha 2

Did you have more than 25/30 degree up hill or down hill angle when you shot high ?  Sighting in on a flat range and than shooting at angle up or down doesn’t let gravity work on the projectile as long and makes each shoot higher than expected. 

I had a brain fart last December on a chip shot.  I was in an awkward position and forgot to put a rest under the butt of my rifle.  Six inches over the back because of muzzle lift.  I shot another shot at a rock (with bag) and verified sights, then retested when I got home.  Shot a nice little group on a plate from about 50yards further.  Just the little things.

12 hours ago, Tucsontony said:

Did you have more than 25/30 degree up hill or down hill angle when you shot high ?  Sighting in on a flat range and than shooting at angle up or down doesn’t let gravity work on the projectile as long and makes each shoot higher than expected. 

His G7 BR2 rangefinder would have accounted for that and gave the correct dope. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

His G7 BR2 rangefinder would have accounted for that and gave the correct dope. 

Shows ya what I know about these new fangled technology things. 🤪. I googled that BR2 after seeing your post. As much as that thing cost no wonder I never new anything about it. I’m old school, site my 7mm right on at 200 and get closer if it’s over 300 away. Have never pulled the trigger on anything farther than 250 yet and never plan to. 

• Like 2

Very nice bucks in the pics.  You may not consider yourself an expert but your knowledge is more than I'll ever have.  I learned a lot just reading the trouble shooting suggestions on here.  If you ultimately hit on what the issue (and the fix) was, please let us know because I'm sure I'll learn from that too.  It's easy and fun to post about hits on targets at great distances but this post was no doubt neither easy or fun to make but I appreciate your openness and humility in making it.  Thank you.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:51 AM, bustedknuckleinc said:

Did you ever figure out what happened?

Maybe....

We ruled out LRF, and suppressor.  

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Maybe....

We ruled out LRF, and suppressor.  

Sounds like it was the shooter!

Schit happens on big bucks!!!

• Like 1

Well guys. I came back from the coues hunt and went to the range with lance.  He checked out suppressor and all good.  I then went to my long range shooting range i have and shot great.  

I just got back from my sons bull elk tag and he shot right over a bull at 280 yds. Sick to my stomach.  He was resting on a log prone position. Dial 2.5 and right over.  Ridiculus

we then later in the day and he shot the exact same shot off a pack instead of a log at 280 at a rock and smacked dead center

i cant make this shoot up. Not gonna lie i dont want to look at my rifles for months. This past year i put a ton of $, suppressor, changed my loads, more confident then ever in my gear and we blew 2 nice animals whick r chip shots to us.  I give up for a while