Sign in to follow this  
Kilometrehunter

Muely or Coues

Killed many WT with a bow, never a muley. Im starting after muleys now though,  doubt i will hold out for a 170+ for my first but ready to try something new. 

I will say this, im comfortable chasing coues but last hunt helping on muleys was for sure a humbling experience. Hardest part just seemed to be finding muleys let alone making a stalk. Our guy killed last hour of last day.

16 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Early mornings and late nights

last year we killed a 97" and couple years before that we killed a 105" and 90"

of course those were 3rd choice tags cuz we wouldnt waste points on coues 

• Like 1

According to that map above mine are all rocky mtn. mule deer...although some of them were definitely taken in the desert, all of the whitetails have been in the pines, (there are 120" deer here if you know where to look) furthest was 140 yards, most were less than 50. 

I've been fortunate that I was able to hunt some great areas in AZ (12, 13) before they turned into the circus they are today, doesn't matter the species, they don't get big hanging out in the open, it takes work...again JMHO🙄

• Like 1

Them mules rule. 

Look, a deer is a deer, a fish is a fish. Same passion regardless. Just go for your passion or what you are in the mood for...steak, chicken or surf. We are all brothers and sisters on this earth with the same passion. 

I think WT are a little better eating IMO.  But that could be because I almost die to kill them. Or at least it seams that way.

6 hours ago, creed said:

How  many of you whitetail slayers have taken a 180+ burro buck in greasewood/mesquite flats with a bow or any weapon for that matter? And no, I haven't killed a 100" coues but have zero desire to waste my time doing it.

No one mistakes me for a slayer of anything except cookies, but…

Rutting muleys aren’t that tough to find, although they are hard to kill with a bow. That being said, I’d say more muleys are killed in December/January than coues, and especially big bucks.

Archery hunting coues over water in August, totally different story. 

But if they offered December mule deer tags in the quantity that they do coues, there wouldn’t be any mature bucks left.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Everyone thinks they can hunt muleys because of the rut. Vulnerable a few weeks out of the year. Meanwhile coues up high in the sun for no reason all year 

Mule deer in October > Coues in October

Archery Mule deer in January < Archery Coues in January

Killing a big desert muley outside of the rut is one of the hardest things to do in western hunting. 

Back to the question… I’d shoot the coues.