Sign in to follow this  
ltd2004

22 road on the kaibab.

Heading up to 12a west next week and hoping to take my trailer down the 22 road.  Was there over the summer and it was closed.  I’m sure it’s open by now.  But does anyone know if it is for sure open out of fredonia and if it’s in good shape??   Never been on the late hunt.  Am I foolish for wanting to take a trailer in there.   Thanks. 

I wouldn't go TOO far off the main roads up there with a trailer on a late hunt.  Never know with weather.  Could be 60* or could dump 36" of snow.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ltd2004 said:

Heading up to 12a west next week and hoping to take my trailer down the 22 road.  Was there over the summer and it was closed.  I’m sure it’s open by now.  But does anyone know if it is for sure open out of fredonia and if it’s in good shape??   Never been on the late hunt.  Am I foolish for wanting to take a trailer in there.   Thanks. 

Not a good idea. Speaking from experience. Like Lance says stay close as possible to main roads. 

It’s ok as long as you are comfortable leaving it till spring if you get a big snow dump

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bailer41 said:

On the early hunt it was open at least to the 429. 

So from fredonia to the 429 was open??  And was it good shape??  Over the summer it was closed between the 429 and fredonia.   Thanks for the help. 

2 hours ago, ltd2004 said:

So from fredonia to the 429 was open??  And was it good shape??  Over the summer it was closed between the 429 and fredonia.   Thanks for the help. 

Yes. It was I was on the early hunt and stayed in fredonia.  It was in good shape 

• Thanks 1

Depends on the size of the trailer.  If you get snow, yes, your best exit is through Fredonia.

Set up your camp with an exit plan in mind, when that day comes, go slow.

You are in a tough predicament.  The late Kaibab hunts get started when the snow falls.

hire a guide and let them do all the work. you just show up and pull the trigger.

3 hours ago, Chef said:

Depends on the size of the trailer.  If you get snow, yes, your best exit is through Fredonia.

Set up your camp with an exit plan in mind, when that day comes, go slow.

You are in a tough predicament.  The late Kaibab hunts get started when the snow falls.

That is my plan.   If a  snow storm is In the forecast I plan on pulling out and staying in fredonia maybe.   

19 minutes ago, n2horns said:

hire a guide and let them do all the work. you just show up and pull the trigger.

I actually don’t have a tag.  My buddies do.  I hope to draw in the next 5 years.  So just going to learn as much as possible for two weeks.  I’d rather not hire a guide.   

• Like 1

We camped right where the 22 Road turns from pavement to gravel. There is cell service there and we could hotspot so the kids could do school work at night. When there was fresh snow we were in a spot where we could get out easily if needed. We typically drove 30 minutes to our hunting spots in the morning. It’s nice to be able to get up and hunt right from camp, but knowing we wouldn’t be stuck provided a lot of peace of mind.

• Like 5