A lot of guys choose the easy way and want to be shooters instead of hunters! Good on you for sticking to your guns and attempting to figure it out for yourself. That’s the fun part. 

• Like 2

Buy or make 100 - 200 decoys, then watch the cranes for weeks to see where they are feeding and put your cranes out accordingly. No need for a guide, just time and money.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 4:37 AM, mc68 said:

Ya…no. Like I said, zero interest in a guide. I will just go with what I had planned. Thanks for responses. 

please post pics

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 7:30 PM, mc68 said:

Nope. Quit doing that years ago…

how did hunt go? you set out your own decoys or sky bang some birds? there are record numbers of birds this year! 

I did the sky bang thing. Actually found some at daylight that weren’t in fields then ended up going back in afternoon and they flew right back in. Seen tons of them. Those who haven’t been able to draw will be glad to know I probably won’t hunt them anymore. It just wasn’t my cup of tea, never been into waterfowl much. I’m gonna stick with the Thunder Chickens. 

15 minutes ago, mc68 said:

I did the sky bang thing. Actually found some at daylight that weren’t in fields then ended up going back in afternoon and they flew right back in. Seen tons of them. Those who haven’t been able to draw will be glad to know I probably won’t hunt them anymore. It just wasn’t my cup of tea, never been into waterfowl much. I’m gonna stick with the Thunder Chickens. 

So did you get any with the sky banging?

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:00 PM, Flatlander said:

Buy or make 100 - 200 decoys, then watch the cranes for weeks to see where they are feeding and put your cranes out accordingly. No need for a guide, just time and money.

Store and maintain 10 dozen decoys for 3+ years waiting on another tag ......

Locate where cranes are feeding, beg landowner(s) for permission to hunt his/her land.

Being that tags are few and far between, hiring a guide makes perfect sense.  Pass shooting is OK but dusting decoyed birds is where it's at.  Lot less wounding too.

• Like 2

Hunting over the decoys isn’t fun to me for whatever reason. Done it on ducks before and just don’t care for it. I’m gonna leave it to those who are into it more than I am…