Couestracker

Minnesota whitetail

Today was my 3rd day hunting, got to the deer stand late this morning at 10:45. Sat all day and didn't see any deer until sunset. Saw lots of other stuff,which broke up the boredom: a bald eagle flying around the meadow, a bluejay, a racoon, a pheasant, a red headed woodpecker and another woodpecker that I didn't know what kind until later, turned out to be a piliated woodpecker- same kind as woody!
 So, just after sunset, I saw a big buck walking very slowly, kind of in my direction, but it kept looking to its right and was sort of steering that way. I figured it was going toward a side meadow instead of to me, plus I figured I was running out of shooting light, so I made the decision to get out of the deer stand and try to "head it off at the pass".
 Well I got out there in thick grass and swampy ground about 100 yards from the stand, had a tree line in front of me, the other side of that was the meadow I thought he was headed up. So I stopped to scan the treeline with my 8 power rangefinder, went back and forth a few times to try and find him. On the 4th scan, I see him come to the edge of the trees and stop. OMG, there he is! He came right towards me! I pushed the button on the rangefinder to get the distance, it's 80 yards. I slowly bring up my muzzleloader, it took forever to find him in the scope (didn't even know what power it was set on) but I finally locate him. He's quartering towards me, staring my way. I can't believe this is all coming together! So I shoot and end up with a monster non-typical Minnesota buck!
 After getting him in the truck in the dark, we got it to the farms shop, cleaned the buck and got him hung in the walk in cooler.                                                           Turns out my friends family have been tracking this buck all summer and had him on their trail cams! They named him the crab buck because of the crab claw feature on its right antler. Too cool!
My hat's off to Tony for his help in making this happen. Thanks guys, I feel like I'm part of your wonderful family.

22043.jpeg

22039.jpeg

22037.jpeg

22035.jpeg

1111211021a.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

That’s exciting stuff. 

It really was! I went western on them (from Arizona). 😎

• Like 3

I want an eastern whitetail!!  Congrats

• Like 1