Norteno

Thoughts on Chandler road rage shooting

This incident hits close to home since it was like a block from my house and my wife and I were discussing our opinions on open/concealed carry earlier in the day.   First off I’m very sorry someone lost their life.  As we drove by right after it happened I saw him on the floor with shirt off getting CPR by first responders.  A scene hard to forget.  
I’m 100% for our freedom to carry a firearm. I would rather a CCW permit be required simply for the training you get laying out the implications you face if you utilize your firearm.  
For those that did not hear the details, white guy and Hispanic guy are driving up Gilbert and get in a road rage altercation.  Once the hit red light on Germann Hispanic guy is behind white guy at the light.  White guy gets out of his vehicle.  Approaches Hispanic guy and yells out “do you want a piece of me”.  Hispanic guy then fires off a few rounds hitting white guy and the car of a nearby family narrowly missing their kids.  Guy doing the shooting was booked and is charged with murder.  Guy who got out of his vehicle and approached the other vehicle was unarmed.  
Because two hot headed fools were acting like idiots now one of them is dead and the life of the other is also ruined.  

My wife making a case for limiting firearms won on this day.  Idiots

" I would rather a CCW permit be required simply for the training you get laying out the implications you face if you utilize your firearm."

I agree with you 1000%. I have taken the class multiple times and when taught by a "Competant" instructor that knowledge is invaluable. That happened less than 1/2 a mile from my buddys house. If an altercation happens the best thing is to  diffuse it by going in the opposite direction, NEVER get out of the car and become the agressor.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Norteno said:

My wife making a case for limiting firearms won on this day.  Idiots

BS

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JSR said:

BS

The thought here is there are some individuals that can be very responsible gun owners(most) but still have the ability to loose their cool once and a while and flip out.  During those limited times, having a firearm in your possession is not a good idea because all your common sense goes out the door.  
I appreciate your opinion.  

I have been a firefighter for 27 yrs...I have personally been on 4 of these calls in that time....In EVERY case the individual that got out of his vehicle and approached the other vehicle was the one shot and killed. They all made the choice to be a tough guy and confront the other person and it cost them there life....Stay in your vehicle and drive away.....Or take the chance of getting killed....Not really a hard decision to make....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

You can “limit” firearms all you want. There are so many in circulation that if someone wants a gun, they’ll get a gun. I’m 100% pro 2A. You think a CCW permit is going to make sure a bad guy doesn’t get a gun? The way i see it, the only way to defeat a bad guy with a gun is with another gun. 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

You can “limit” firearms all you want. There are so many in circulation that if someone wants a gun, they’ll get a gun. I’m 100% pro 2A. You think a CCW permit is going to make sure a bad guy doesn’t get a gun? The way i see it, the only way to defeat a bad guy with a gun is with another gun. 

There’s a good chance you can pick one up from the Fast and Furious2 Op soon. 

I was a contractor in the valley for 15 years and I definitely don’t miss the idiots on the roads. 10 years ago when I left, I didn’t think it could get any worse, boy was I wrong! Sorry this hit so close to home but no way will tighter gun laws help. The guy paid the ultimate price for not staying in his vehicle!

• Like 2

12 yrs ago I was on my way to lake mead with my 12 yr old son for a 4 day fishing trip... West bound on carefree highway about 75 ave a small passenger vehicle pulls along side me and the female passenger is hanging out the window and yelling at me....I slow down and roll my window down thinking something is wrong with my boat / trailer....She starts yelling profanities at me and says that my truck kicked up a rock off the road and broke the windshield on her car and that I was gonna pay for it or her boyfriend was gonna kick my butt....I smiled and waved rolled up my window and keep driving....At the light at 99 ave and carefree Hwy they pulled around in front of me sideways blocking me in between them and the truck behind me....The clown driving the car gets out with a baseball bat and puts it over his head and starts yelling he’s gonna kick my butt and wreck my truck...I reached down and pulled my 45 out and placed it on the dash of my truck making sure he could absolutely see it....He turned white as a sheet threw the bat and got back in his car and drove away....Had he come several feet closer to my truck I absolutely would have shot him...I thank god everyday that he didn’t....

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, azelkhunter2 said:

12 yrs ago I was on my way to lake mead with my 12 yr old son for a 4 day fishing trip... West bound on carefree highway about 75 ave a small passenger vehicle pulls along side me and the female passenger is hanging out the window and yelling at me....I slow down and roll my window down thinking something is wrong with my boat / trailer....She starts yelling profanities at me and says that my truck kicked up a rock off the road and broke the windshield on her car and that I was gonna pay for it or her boyfriend was gonna kick my butt....I smiled and waved rolled up my window and keep driving....At the light at 99 ave and carefree Hwy they pulled around in front of me sideways blocking me in between them and the truck behind me....The clown driving the car gets out with a baseball bat and puts it over his head and starts yelling he’s gonna kick my butt and wreck my truck...I reached down and pulled my 45 out and placed it on the dash of my truck making sure he could absolutely see it....He turned white as a sheet threw the bat and got back in his car and drove away....Had he come several feet closer to my truck I absolutely would have shot him...I thank god everyday that he didn’t....

I had a similar thing happen near that stretch of road 15 years ago. Night before I loaded 3-4 ton river rock into the dump trailer with the skid steer. I dumped a few onto the fender which had a flat surface and thought, I need to remember to knock those stones off before leaving to Anthem the next morning. Well I forgot and about 530 the next morning, an irate guy pulls along side me on lake pleasant parkway yelling and screaming pointing to the cratered windshield. I knew then that I’d forgotten those stones. He pulled in front of me with his bass boat in tow. I felt horrible that he was going to miss the morning bite or part of it. He wasn’t happy of course but I completely owned it and we settled right there on the road. His  insurance company covered the glass and I sent him a couple hundred dollars in Fisherman’s choice gift cards. That story also could have ended a lot differently if I hadn’t done anything wrong!

2 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Tighter gun laws would not change what happened today. Only honest carrying people.

Right. How many honest firearm carrying individuals are put in positions where they might have to defend themselves?

It’s hard to have sympathy for the dead dude.  He was 37 and should have known better.  I’ve been there plenty where both drivers are mad.  I usually make the next turn and get away from it.  I’m usually armed when driving although not every time.  It’s nice to go home at the end of the day.  It feels good when you don’t have to waste someone over something stupid too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norteno said:

The thought here is there are some individuals that can be very responsible gun owners(most) but still have the ability to loose their cool once and a while and flip out.  During those limited times, having a firearm in your possession is not a good idea because all your common sense goes out the door.  
I appreciate your opinion.  

What gun law would have stopped this