Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

RV's in the cold

Planning to haul my travel trailer up to Kaibab for the deer hunt.  I'm a little worried about freezing pipes overnight.  Any of you ever had pipes freeze when using your trailer in cold conditions?  

Usually  will freeze, but rarely will burst. Ours would freeze overnight when it was dropping into the teens,  but be thawing by noon.  I would recommend running a Mr. Buddy on low with a window cracked if you have one of the noisy amp sucking furnaces like I do.  I couldnt sleep with the furnace set. Had the Mr. Buddy thought  after we had left.  Or leave a faucet, slightly cracked to allow a slight drip to move water, but plan on listening to your pump cycle.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Usually  will freeze, but rarely will burst. Ours would freeze overnight when it was dropping into the teens,  but be thawing by noon.  I would recommend running a Mr. Buddy on low with a window cracked if you have one of the noisy amp sucking furnaces like I do.  I couldnt sleep with the furnace set. Had the Mr. Buddy thought  after we had left.  Or leave a faucet, slightly cracked to allow a slight drip to move water, but plan on listening to your pump cycle.

If things like that keep you awake, you aren’t drinking enough beer after a long days hunt. 😛

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tucsontony said:

If things like that keep you awake, you aren’t drinking enough beer after a long days hunt. 😛

thats the curse of being a light sleeper.  Those that know me will probably chime in that  its not a lack of beer at the end of the day, lol

• Like 2

Depends on temps…I’ve camped in the upper 20s overnight several times with no freezing. Friend of mine rigged up an apron out of tarps for his and runs a Buddy heater underneath to keep the pipes and tanks warm. Sometimes just the apron is enough unless it gets below 20. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTAGS said:

thats the curse of being a light sleeper.  Those that know me will probably chime in that  its not a lack of beer at the end of the day, lol

Same here…furnace cycling on and off wakes me up all the time. Running it on constant fan helps that but burns up the battery.

I have used my outside shower hose to cycle hot water back into the fresh water holding tank, it will cost you some propane though. When mine has froze up it has been at the tank where the pump draws. A couple pots of hot water down the fresh water filler has thawed it out.

• Like 1

Yep your pipes will freeze .we were up in 6a Nov last year and 17 degrees and snow .no running water for 4 days .My dad broke his toilet valve when he stepped on it to flush it.we ran mister heater to thaw THE lines out .the cold will kill your battery quick as s h it so plan on extra gas for generator.

• Like 1

Consider this when deciding where to park the camper. Cold air sinks at night, not to say its not cold up higher but you can park where the sun hits early. 

• Like 1