Sign in to follow this  
Coueser

RV's in the cold

We were up in27 for the cow hunt. There was a cold snap for opening weekend. It was like 23 opening morning if i remember.  We would run the heater  for a bit just before bed, and  an hour before getting ready, id get up and turn the heat on. It was like 37 in the trailer at the coldest point... (rough getting up to get the heater going ha ha) ... but nothing froze for us

• Like 1

If your tank and or pipes are exposed, plan on having no running water most of your trip unless you take measures to prevent it.  The apron and buddy heater are easiest and pretty effective.  Never had a buddy heater go bad but I personally don't feel comfortable leaving something that could potentially fail and produce open flame 🔥  running underneath a flammable box while I'm sleeping in it 😅.   I bought a couple packages of thermal heat cable from home depot and wrapped my exposed pipes plus zig zagged a strip of it along the bottom of both tanks on my toy hauler.  I run quiet suitcase type generator whenever Temps get much below freezing and it has worked fine with Temps down to 20 degrees.  This also runs the heater without killing the battery.  I would rather be in my kodiak canvas tent than in a camper with a dead battery and frozen pipes!

• Like 1

We did a late cow hunt north of Flagstaff years back. We took a toyhauler with pipes and tanks underneath. 

We bought a roll of air conditioning duct wrap insulation and wrapped the dead air space around the bottom of the trailer. Temps in the teens with wind and it was all good. The ground temp and heat from the camper kept it from freezing. 

• Like 1

I found it helps to leave cabinet doors open under the sink and such overnight.  Allows warmer air to reach at least some of the pipes.

• Like 1

Man, you guys are pretty passionate about running water. On that hunt last year we just didn’t use the fresh water tank and kept a gallon jug next to the sink and toilet.

Who cares if your black tank freezes. It will thaw if you are headed to low elevations after the hunt.

No extra propane, no skirts or aprons.