Sign in to follow this  
Curtis Reed

WTB Meat Goat

With rising store prices, I’m looking to buy a local meat goat and trying to avoid auctions. Any advice on where to start looking?  I am in the East Valley but can travel.

Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nitemann said:

Boarman03 usually has some. He's in Mesa.

I have sheep. Goats are too hard to keep in and destroy things. I also have 2 two year old steers that are almost ready for finishing out/butchering.

Hay will go through the roof and has already started to. The fuel/fertilizer/equipment cost has doubled. Watch what meat prices do next year. Maybe nearly double unless everyone sells, and then the year after will soar instead.

Get ready for the ride.

• Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me if people cash in BPs on rifle cow hunts for the next couple years.

Good luck finding your goat, OP.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

It wouldn't surprise me if people cash in BPs on rifle cow hunts for the next couple years.

Good luck finding your goat, OP.

Funny you mention that… I planed on a antlerless archery in 2022 to fill the freezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boarman03 said:

I have sheep. Goats are too hard to keep in and destroy things. I also have 2 two year old steers that are almost ready for finishing out/butchering.

Hay will go through the roof and has already started to. The fuel/fertilizer/equipment cost has doubled. Watch what meat prices do next year. Maybe nearly double unless everyone sells, and then the year after will soar instead.

Get ready for the ride.

Yeah, goats are dicks!! Sheep are better lawn mowers and are easier to keep. I’m looking to get a few lambs next year. I’m trying to find a meat steer for a friend but most people are booked out!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Yeah, goats are dicks!! Sheep are better lawn mowers and are easier to keep. I’m looking to get a few lambs next year. I’m trying to find a meat steer for a friend but most people are booked out!

PM Sent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boarman03 said:

Get ready for the ride.

Good points. Reduction of irrigation water is likely going to be a big contributor to higher prices as well.

• Like 1

To all, good luck trying to get a cow elk tag! That's all my wife and myself put in for anymore. She has 5 bp's and I have 3.

I gave up on archery 5 years ago but after not drawing rifle, I finally lowered the poundage on the bow and harvested a metro cow last year. 

Tough hunt!