Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

*UPDATE*Hitting a deer with a ricochet...

Shot a deer years ago and the entrance and exit were about 4-5" apart. He was bedded. My best guess was the bullet exited and then was a ricochet back into the deer.

• Wow! 1

I had it happen years ago with a ballistic tip. A friend hand loaded me some hot .300 mag rounds. I shot a doe pronghorn and hit her in the shoulder. Out of the corner of my eye I saw another antelope flinch and sure enough it was hit it too. I'm thankful that I had tags for both. I quit using those ballistic tips after that experience. I now use nosler partitions or hornady inner bonds. 

On 11/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, CatfishKev said:

I know a guy shot a javelina and they coulnt find entrance or exit. Hung him by gambrels and when they started to open him up he woke up and started squealing and kicking, pissin all over himself. They put one in his head and finished up. Best he figured the projectile grazed the skull and knocked him out.

My uncle swears he shot a deer once and he later assumed that the bullet must have hit the deer in the antlers and cold knocked the deer out.  He thought it was dead and when he approached it and started to prepare it to field dress, it came to.  My uncle grabbed it by the antlers as the deer took him to his back and with everything he had kept the deer from goring him.  He reached in his pants and pulled out his kabar and knifed the deer right in the heart.  I'd call BS but my uncle was and is a pretty hard core hard working Marine, and I believe his story 120% - he isn't the lying type.

• Wow! 2

36 minutes ago, lonne said:

My uncle swears he shot a deer once and he later assumed that the bullet must have hit the deer in the antlers and cold knocked the deer out.  He thought it was dead and when he approached it and started to prepare it to field dress, it came to.  My uncle grabbed it by the antlers as the deer took him to his back and with everything he had kept the deer from goring him.  He reached in his pants and pulled out his kabar and knifed the deer right in the heart.  I'd call BS but my uncle was and is a pretty hard core hard working Marine, and I believe his story 120% - he isn't the lying type.

He was lucky! Another hunter told me about a father and son treestand humting back east. Dad shot a buck and called his son, buck gored the dad and the son found both the buck and his pops dead. Super sad.

• Sad 1

Dudes still alive. Found him on my late Dec hunt about 1/4 mile from where he got shot at. He wasn't limping. He was eating normally. I saw no scars or wounds. As far as I could tell he looked perfectly fine. I still don't know what the heck happened but it was good to see him alive and well.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Couescrazy33 said:

He looks like he needs a dirt nap!

Definitely tried but I suck. I got within 400 just couldn't get it done. 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, CatfishKev said:

I know a guy shot a javelina and they coulnt find entrance or exit. Hung him by gambrels and when they started to open him up he woke up and started squealing and kicking, pissin all over himself. They put one in his head and finished up. Best he figured the projectile grazed the skull and knocked him out.

Who was pissing on himself? The pig or the guy?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, OpticNerd said:

Definitely tried but I suck. I got within 400 just couldn't get it done. 

Still enjoy the videos regardless. Waiting for you to post the next one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably gave him a bell ringing and lost his means , seen it many times with Jack rabbits. 

Hopefully...My biggest concern after watching the video in slow mo over an over again was it looks like there might be an impact around the base of his neck. My initial thought after seeing this was a piece of the bullet hit his windpipe and he wouldn't be able to recover. No matter what happened I'm just relieved to see him alive. 

Hopefully I can do an autopsy on him come November and get some answers. That'd be awesome!

• Like 4

Thank you for the update! With all the variables involved, stuff happens, even when we're hyper-responsible and 100% confident in the set up and shot.  I understand that coyotes and ravens need to eat too but I can imagine your relief when you saw that he lived to fight another day.  Now we can share in that feeling.  Looking forward to that November update!

• Like 2