couesdeerhntr

Was this the buffalo incident everone was talking about

12 minutes ago, MMACFIVE said:

I believe that much of the salt was put in strategic locations on the buffs natural routes. So yes, the Buffalo would come to that spot with or without the salt.  

Have you hunted up there?  The salts are just spread out wherever they can get them.  Atleast the ones I was around when I was there, there was very little reason for that salt to be there other then that was where the salt was.  

That being said, from what I understand the guy in this video showed up after a guy was already set up on said salt.  In that case, a polite wave and move on is the right thing to do regardless of whose salt it is.  

54 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

The salt lick in question is not on a water source. There is nothing else there to make a Buffalo come to that spot other than the salt. That is the case for about half of the salts there. But if you have been there, you know this.

The guys pretending that a salt block next to a public water source is the same thing are the ones building a straw man.

There are a couple of 'secret spots' that I found in my wanderings that I would have sat if not for the  salt and blinds that were on the travel paths for bison.  They were points of access from the canyon.  The animals would have been with or without salt.  This has become a conversation of what's better looking the roach or the rat.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

no distaste here.  I've had good buddies pay him money for buffalo hunts, buddies not pay him to join the co-op and by all accounts he is a great guy.  The fact that you can not see the 12a salt situation as a special situation tell me that you have a bias.  Everyone that hunts that hunt or has helped on that hunt see's what Russ has created.  The fact that he has so many salts along a fairly small stretch of GC boundary does NOT entitle him and his clients to exclusive hunting rights.  It's not like he is doing something revolutionary and everyone is piggy backing off of him.  IMO putting a salt site in the middle of BFE and then walking up on hunters at your salt site is bullshit.  However, I am sure it happens.  The 2nd guy to get to such site has to leave without causing a scene.  It is just the right thing to do.  

Russ has created a situation where the Buffalo literally leave the park for a short time and hit one of his numerous sites.  To think that you are not allowed to hunt along his salt line is naive at best.  He MIGHT have 2-5 clients each hunt and maybe 2-5 willing to be part of his CO-OP.  IF he has all 10 at his sites, that still leaves 50-60 sites available to hunt.  To think those sites are off limits is absurd.  He has literally conditioned the cattle up there to hit his salts over the last 10 years.  This hunt has turned into a real SHHIIITTTT show to say the least and issues like this will continue to arise if he tells his clients to try and make other hunters leave.  Just a matter of time before one of them gets in a fist fight.  Just because Russ feels like his personal ETHICS trump someone else's, does not mean he gets to rule the 12a/ GC boundary.  

I have 0 bias for anyone here. If you’d like to chat about my personal feelings toward all the parties, I’m happy to do so privately. I frankly don’t care who’s side I am taking or who disagrees with me. But I do respect another person’s work. Whether Satan himself or anyone else put that salt there, it took time, effort, money and sacrifice. The fact that so many people feel that they should be entitled to those efforts simply because they show up first one morning is absolutely baffling. 

I don’t contest that anyone owns that boundary or any other piece of public lands. But to set up a blind, 30 yds from a salt someone else put the time in to establish and monitor is BS. The only reason to be there is because of the salt, which somebody out there. The opportunity was created by that person.

I sure as heck wouldn’t show up at a trail cam and take pics off someone else’s SD card. It’s no different in this situation.

Established water sources (with or without salt), saddles, roads, etc. all belong to the public and first come first serve makes sense there.

Other guides and DIY hunters can easily throw a salt out and put up a cam. They can hunt any tank in that unit. Walk the boundary. Drive the highway and wait for them to come out in the open. Those are all options, why the heck would they feel the need to go sit somewhere that they someone else established and then get all sideways when that person shows up. Yes it’s legal, still chicken shoot.

This is the same argument that people use to justify stealing trail cams. It’s on public property, it’s illegal to leave on FS, therefore it’s abandoned property and I am entitled to take it. Technically it may be true, but that doesn’t change the principal of it.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:50 PM, ctafoya said:

What an A$$hat. Stories like this keep me from applying for this hunt. He brandished a weapon. How is this not going any further? 

Truth. At least revoke his license

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Have you hunted up there?  The salts are just spread out wherever they can get them.  Atleast the ones I was around when I was there, there was very little reason for that salt to be there other then that was where the salt was.  

That being said, from what I understand the guy in this video showed up after a guy was already set up on said salt.  In that case, a polite wave and move on is the right thing to do regardless of whose salt it is.  

Yes I have. At one time I could have driven you to nearly every one of them. 

Did you a actually watch the video, or at least the part where he had the OnX map and talked about the natural pathway  from the park to the salt?

I’m going to place about 500 small salt licks (the little brick ones) all over my favorite ridges to hunt. This will surely keep people out of them and if it doesn’t I’ll claim they are being unethical and I’ll come cry about it on CW. At least i know I’ll have a couple guys on my side, one of which is all about crying. The big problem with the bison is a couple people think they own the rights to every spot they frequent. It is absolute lunacy that people (at least one) think that RJ has rights to basically hunt any spot at any time because he kicks out salt blocks. Man, we really are living in strange times. I would love for someone to try to tell me where or how i have to hunt on my once in a lifetime tag. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

No dog in this fight... but by the sounds of it, it seems like it would be hard to find a spot that someone hasn't put slat out... over however many years they have been doing it ..... .  So how do you know which one they are using and which are abandoned  out of the hundreds that have been dropped ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Truth. At least revoke his license

Should be a lot more then license revocation. A y one of us on the street would be behind bars. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 12:04 PM, Flatlander said:

I have 0 bias for anyone here. If you’d like to chat about my personal feelings toward all the parties, I’m happy to do so privately. I frankly don’t care who’s side I am taking or who disagrees with me. But I do respect another person’s work. Whether Satan himself or anyone else put that salt there, it took time, effort, money and sacrifice. The fact that so many people feel that they should be entitled to those efforts simply because they show up first one morning is absolutely baffling. 

I don’t contest that anyone owns that boundary or any other piece of public lands. But to set up a blind, 30 yds from a salt someone else put the time in to establish and monitor is BS. The only reason to be there is because of the salt, which somebody out there. The opportunity was created by that person.

I sure as heck wouldn’t show up at a trail cam and take pics off someone else’s SD card. It’s no different in this situation.

Established water sources (with or without salt), saddles, roads, etc. all belong to the public and first come first serve makes sense there.

Other guides and DIY hunters can easily throw a salt out and put up a cam. They can hunt any tank in that unit. Walk the boundary. Drive the highway and wait for them to come out in the open. Those are all options, why the heck would they feel the need to go sit somewhere that they someone else established and then get all sideways when that person shows up. Yes it’s legal, still chicken shoot.

This is the same argument that people use to justify stealing trail cams. It’s on public property, it’s illegal to leave on FS, therefore it’s abandoned property and I am entitled to take it. Technically it may be true, but that doesn’t change the principal of it.

Many of the current salt sites were well established before Russ started re-suppling them. Are these sites exceptions? Or if I simply add the latest block to a site is it now mine?

1 hour ago, MMACFIVE said:

Many of the current salt sites were well established before Russ started re-suppling them. Are these sites exceptions? Of if I simply add the latest block to a site is it now mine?

Good question and I don’t know. That’s something everyone’s got to sort out for  themselves. I do know that I wouldn’t plop down a blind 30 yds from a salt I had nothing to with and think that was going to go over well.

All these dudes pretending that anyone is arguing something else is nonsense. Their feelings for Russ makes people justify their desire to take advantage of his work. I have no great affinity for him or anyone else up there. But I sure do know what will and wont keep me up at night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Good question and I don’t know. That’s something everyone’s got to sort out for  themselves. I do know that I wouldn’t plop down a blind 30 yds from a salt I had nothing to with and think that was going to go over well.

All these dudes pretending that anyone is arguing something else is nonsense. Their feelings for Russ makes people justify their desire to take advantage of his work. I have no great affinity for him or anyone else up there. But I sure do know what will and wont keep me up at night.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess salt keeps you up at night. 

What was there first, the salt or the blind?

On 12/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

I’m going to place about 500 small salt licks (the little brick ones) all over my favorite ridges to hunt. This will surely keep people out of them and if it doesn’t I’ll claim they are being unethical and I’ll come cry about it on CW. At least i know I’ll have a couple guys on my side, one of which is all about crying. The big problem with the bison is a couple people think they own the rights to every spot they frequent. It is absolute lunacy that people (at least one) think that RJ has rights to basically hunt any spot at any time because he kicks out salt blocks. Man, we really are living in strange times. I would love for someone to try to tell me where or how i have to hunt on my once in a lifetime tag. 

I agree, I think I would make it a little easier on myself and instead of putting 500 small bricks in my pack I would just get a pound of table salt and grab a teaspoon out of the kitchen and make it easier. There are lots of gray areas in this issue. I think if I were in that situation I would video the person wanting to have a discussion with me and ask them to please leave because I was hunting and if they didn't I think it would then be time to let an Leo make a decision based on the video.

What happen with Chad and Russ anyway? Weren't they partners at one time?

Was TLO running the salts up there before Russ?

I'll just keep getting bonus points until this mess clears up.

• Like 4