Sign in to follow this  
ultramag

pack frame ?

what is the best way to carry a deer out of the woods? Last year I had to carry it on my back and it about killed me. so this year I want to be a little more prepaired for the job? what kind of set up do you have for this? I also need somewhere to store my tripod and water etc.. along with the possiblity of a deer. I need some ideas.

Eberlestock J107 would work well.

http://eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm

I carried my antelope out 2 miles with gear (tripod, binos, camera, water etc) this year using the Mystery Ranch NICE frame, load sling, and 5000 bag. All of the quarters and straps and neck trimmings fit in the bag with the head and cape in the load sling. Set-up is pricey though. Many like the NICE, sling and Crew Cab arrangement.

http://mysteryranch.com/packs/index.php

Or a Kifaru pack with cargo chair. One should try the gunbearer also- I like mine to be hands-free.

http://www.kifaru.net/hunt_prod.htm

Mike,

I used a frame like that, which is also used on the Dwight Schuh and Coleman packs. I lashed my hunting day pack to it. Carried the load better than the day pack alone which had no waist belt. That setup caught fewer tree limbs while hiking than the aluminum pack frame, and was quieter. Used that flex-frame for years until the padding in the shoulder straps deteriorated and the belt stitching gave way.

Doug~RR

Mike,

I used a frame like that, which is also used on the Dwight Schuh and Coleman packs. I lashed my hunting day pack to it. Carried the load better than the day pack alone which had no waist belt. That setup caught fewer tree limbs while hiking than the aluminum pack frame, and was quieter. Used that flex-frame for years until the padding in the shoulder straps deteriorated and the belt stitching gave way.

Doug~RR

Ya I took the bag off and the frame and straps are not in that back of shape. Not sure if I'll keep it though. I already have a millitary issue pack frame with a couple of good packs and its kindof a neat set up. Not the the best but I can't see myself spending $300+ for a pack.

Cabela's has a pack frame, I think it's called the Alaska Pack frame. Good frame, good shoulder and waist support/straps. Lightweight, pretty good value in my opinion. I think it was about $60.00

Cabela's has a pack frame, I think it's called the Alaska Pack frame. Good frame, good shoulder and waist support/straps. Lightweight, pretty good value in my opinion. I think it was about $60.00

Thats the same one I use, and mentioned in my post. Great frame for the cost. Remington used to market it years ago, same frame different name.

First i would say debone and cut it up on the spot put it in bags and pack it out. no need to packk all the stuff you do not need. then you can fit it in most any pack. wide shoulder straps with a good waist belt. that is the base of a good setup. from there it will just have to be what you want in a pack. I still use the badlands 2200. I just sold my old one and got one of the new ones with wider straps. I was going to get another pack but thought i already know were it all goes best in the 2200. so why fix what is not broke.

I love my badlands 2800, you can pack a hind quarter of an elk on it, and the main compartment works great for boned out meat in bags. The back two flaps that work as a meat shelf are AWESOME, they'll hold anything you can strap in there. I can't stand cheap pack frames, well it might have been me instead of the pack, on my recent elk hunt i had a hind quarter and his cape strapped onto my brothers old pack frame and it about rubbed my shoulder blades off. :angry: that's not too much weight at all right? haha