Curtis Reed

Hang Elk quarters in Upright Freezer

I do all my own butchering and processing… in the past i’ve gone straight from the field to butcher table to freezer. I want to hang and age the deer/elk from now on and was looking at different options…. cool bot, used commercial fridge… the cheapest and most space saving option is a used large (20 cu ft+) upright freezer from craigslist or offerup.

Does anyone out there do this, and will a quartered elk fit in one?  I might need 2.  I would use a temp controller like a Inkbird to keep meat from freezing and set temps around 36°.  My thoughts are to drill some holes through the top of the unit and but some threaded eye bolts through to hang hooks then seal the holes with spray foam.

Interested to see what people have to say and what you end up doing.  Good Luck

• Like 1

We have tried it in a chest freezer and even on the lowest setting it still froze the meat.

Buy a refrigerator with the freezer on top, not a side by side,  they work good. I have taken the racks out and stand the 1/4s up on end.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

We have tried it in a chest freezer and even on the lowest setting it still froze the meat.

Buy a refrigerator with the freezer on top, not a side by side,  they work good. I have taken the racks out and stand the 1/4s up on end.

They won’t freeze if you use a temp controller like an Inkbird. Home brewers do it all the time for their kegs in chest freezers.  Elk quarters will fit in a fridge/freezer?

I do that with all my game minus elk. Elk won't fit in my setup. I just have a standing refrigerator that I have taken all the shelves out of. It will hang a whole coues deer with no head or feet. I don't get too caught up in aging meat, but I've left meat hanging in it for up to about 8 days and it's been great. Most of the time it's just devoted or quartered animals hanging in game bags until I have time to process it. Gets messy as the blood drips and runs out of the door though. I haven't come up with a good solution to catch the blood properly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

I do that with all my game minus elk. Elk won't fit in my setup. I just have a standing refrigerator that I have taken all the shelves out of. It will hang a whole coues deer with no head or feet. I don't get too caught up in aging meat, but I've left meat hanging in it for up to about 8 days and it's been great. Most of the time it's just devoted or quartered animals hanging in game bags until I have time to process it. Gets messy as the blood drips and runs out of the door though. I haven't come up with a good solution to catch the blood properly. 

Use a try with cheese cloth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, creekhiker said:

I have a Midea upright freezer that goes both ways.  Fridge or freezer.  You could have it in fridge mode while aging and switch it to freezer after you process.

Really,?  I never heard of such a thing.  Interesting. That would be the way to go in the future. 

3 minutes ago, creekhiker said:

I have a Midea upright freezer that goes both ways.  Fridge or freezer.  You could have it in fridge mode while aging and switch it to freezer after you process.

I bought a garage midea before this reason, I bet you get a deal from lowes on Black Friday…

• Like 1

I have a buddy that got an old ice freezer like the ones out in front of gas stations. He put some kind of controller on it so it doesn’t freeze and fashioned a rod that will hold quarters on meat hooks. Probably the slickest set up I’ve seen other than an actual walk in. It‘ll hold 2 elk i believe

• Like 4