Shooter McGavin

Daughter’s last JR hunt

Well my daughter drew her last ever JR deer hunt in 33. Her goal was to fill her tag with any size antlered deer. She and her best friend went out again, hoping to fill their tags just like they did during their recent cow elk hunt. Went out to where I got my deer in Reddington on Friday, just does. Saturday took her to our other go to spot and saw 6 different bucks ( spikes, forks and a really nice 3x) nothing would give us a shot though. Around 4:30 she said let’s start heading back, before we go I told her let’s look at one more canyon. We get set up and start glassing. I look down and just past 3 small hills a solo deer is laying out in the open in the shade. It turns its head and I see a glimpse of bone. I said hey, I got a buck. Her first response “how far”? I ranged it and said 485 yds. Her reply “Can I shoot it”? I said, we didn’t come here for a haircut. She gets set up using her backpack as a rest. I’m behind her with binos and tell her whenever your ready because I got eyes on it. A few seconds go by and lead is sent down range. The bullet clobbers the deer, it jumps up and starts to wobble and shake. It lays down a few feet away, I tell her shoot it again it’s not dead. She puts another one in it and that’s all it took. Two 485 yd shots to fill her tag. Absolutely awesome marksmanship to seal the deal.

Due to her birthday, she could only put in 6 times and during her total jr hunts she was able to fill 6 out of six tags, all whitetail. So proud of her.

D7B48809-4053-4DAC-B6FB-0C94CB985F96.jpeg

1371E609-E018-4715-9D6A-B19DAACE5421.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 1

Thanks to everyone who has replied, my daughter is loving the responses!!!!!