Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

On my way

Headed out. Was hoping for cooler Temps but oh well. 16378816455594648800779381223602.thumb.jpg.ed500518c13392fc35df021f9111ce4f.jpg

• Like 9

Absolutely miserable hunt so far. We went home Friday afternoon. The wind was so bad you'd get pushed around glassing. Couldn't even enjoy a beer if I had to. 

Came back Sunday afternoon. No wind and nice and cool. Yesterday found more does then I can count and a mule buck. Today more of the same but it's 85 degrees. Going to give it another 24 hours and call it if the weather doesn't get better. Maybe do a day trip over the weekend. 

I'm glad to see the wildlife we are seeing, figured the fire would have pushed everything out. 

"Bad" weather just means switching tactics sometimes. The bucks are still there. It may not be the hunt you had in mind but maybe take another approach!

• Like 3

Don't Quit. Overall hunts have been tougher this year. DRY, COVID, Too many tags issued........just a bad deal....But hey YOU have a TAG! That's AWSOME make the best of it. Think outside of the norm for places to look and go shoot a buck. One thing that's always helped me, with any mission or adventure is to have the mindset of working harder than anyone to get it done. If you do this, at the end of the day you cant say you failed!  

• Like 3

No luck. Unit was good to me last year. Been off work and in the field since Thanksgiving minus a few days back home to take care of shoot. Can't complain. 

Last year's buck. 24A is bitch sometimes. 

Resized_20201111_121306.jpeg

• Like 2

Had same hunt for 36a. Very tough hunt. Opening weekend we hiked and glassed multiple areas but only turned up does. Came back and hunted Tuesday and turned up a lot more does but that was it. My buddy spotted this buck during the heat of the day and I  hiked in and took him. Not a huge buck, but it was my first whitetail and the amount of work put in made it well worth it. Learned a lot from the hunt, and had a great time. It was a great bonus to put some meat in the freezer. God is good

423553FA-19E1-4696-9F2D-6EEE4BAF9175.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, ctafoya said:

No luck. Unit was good to me last year. Been off work and in the field since Thanksgiving minus a few days back home to take care of shoot. Can't complain. 

My last trip to 24A was a bitch too.  The wind picked up my tent (it was staked down and had my cot, sleeping bags, and clothes bags inside) and threw it into a prickley pear  patch 20 feet away.  It broke some poles and ripped it open.  Not one of my funner trips.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Well way to tough out the rough conditions and putting the time in. Hopefully next year you’ll get the chance at a big one that’s still out there

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ctafoya said:

I hate to love 24a if you wanna roll next year I'm game

• Like 1