Sign in to follow this  
JSR

Coil overs

How much should I expect to pay to have the shocks changed out in front coil overs? I will supply the shocks. Just curious about labor. 

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

On what vehicle?

Exactly, what are you working with? A superduty or a tacoma?

2 hours ago, Vowell said:

Exactly, what are you working with? A superduty or a tacoma?

Tundra 

What part of town are you in? I'm going to be replacing mine on my tundra this week and can knock those out at the same time. Being a fellow outdoorsman, I won't charge you if you bring them over. I have some good heavy duty spring compressors and it only takes a few minutes. I've done mine a few times now and it's fairly simple. 

• Like 3

Im in the far north valley and I don't have the new shocks yet.

Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.

Labor will prob run you around $200-$250 at a shop. I would call around and ask a shop letting them know you have parts

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JSR said:

Is it hard to get the existing coils/shocks out? 

Not at all. Wedge a shovel handle or something through the top of the upper control arm so you can push it down to take a little pressure of the bottom strut bolt to get it out. Then just remove the nuts holding the top of the strut mount and the whole assembly comes right out. Reverse the order putting the new strut assembly back in. The hardest part was getting the bottom strut bolt back in until I figured out the trick of pushing the upper control arm down, which moves the lower arm down enough to line up the bolt. Replacing the strut in the coils is super easy with the heavy duty spring compressors.

8 minutes ago, kfallsrob said:

Not at all. Wedge a shovel handle or something through the top of the upper control arm so you can push it down to take a little pressure of the bottom strut bolt to get it out. Then just remove the nuts holding the top of the strut mount and the whole assembly comes right out. Reverse the order putting the new strut assembly back in. The hardest part was getting the bottom strut bolt back in until I figured out the trick of pushing the upper control arm down, which moves the lower arm down enough to line up the bolt. Replacing the strut in the coils is super easy with the heavy duty spring compressors.

Agree, They Look intimidating but not hard to do. 

1 hour ago, kfallsrob said:

What part of town are you in? I'm going to be replacing mine on my tundra this week and can knock those out at the same time. Being a fellow outdoorsman, I won't charge you if you bring them over. I have some good heavy duty spring compressors and it only takes a few minutes. I've done mine a few times now and it's fairly simple. 

Stand up guy right here! 

• Like 1

You can also rent spring compressors from AutoZone for free. Definitely not a tough job and a YouTube video or two should make it a piece of cake. 

1 hour ago, kfallsrob said:

Can you make a video? I want to do my tacoma but the videos I've seen have looked a bit complicated. Thanks.