Sign in to follow this  
AZHUNTER05

Towing Question for Toyota Tacoma owner

Good morning,

A few years back I decided to sell my 5th wheel and go back to tent hunting/camping. Now that I’ve sold the fifth wheel I still own my tow rig, which is a 2013 Ram 2500. I love the truck but my wife is the primary driver and hates how big it is. So…I’m considering down grading truck sizes and picking up a newer used Tacoma. I was curious if you Tacoma owners have any experience with towing four seater side by sides with your trucks, and if they have enough power to handle the load plus camping equipment? 

(I know Toyota just came out with a new Tundra, but I really don’t feel like dropping $50-$60k on a new truck and I’m not a fan of the older body styles. So that leaves me the Tacoma option. )

Thanks in advance, 

Caneron

I have a 2012 and it hauls my quad on a small trailer and a bed full of camp gear just fine.

That being said I did install an add-a leaf to the rear leaf packs. The original set up didn't hold up well to even just the quad in the bed. Also mine is the 6 speed manual. Not sure if the automatics tow the same or not.

The other modification I had to do is move the trailer wiring harness so it was mounted in the bumper (like the newer models)

• Like 1

My 2021 Taco (automatic) pulls a 4 seater sxs and my bed loaded (not a lot of gear) just fine.  Just have to understand that you’ll pull Rye Hill At 50 mph instead of 75-85 like my old mega cab Cummins. The bigger difference for me going to the Tacoma was the ergonomics of the cab. Leg room and driving posture is definitely different. I’ve had it for 7 months and I’m not looking back. Great around the city and really stout off road. 

• Like 1

I have a 2019 DCSB auto. Pulling a 4 seater ranger on flat ground I get 9mpg. It will do it, but it won't do it well. I tow a small trailer with a quad and it pulls that like nothing is there. If you don't tow much you will really like the truck. A tune works well to get rid of weird shifting issues.

• Like 1

I pull a 2 horse from time to time and the gas mileage is like 10mpg. Itll pull it up big hills, but she does get thirsty doing to.