Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Had a good hunt.

Well, some of my best elk spots came up empty this year.  I did a lot of scouting, and they really moved around.  But I did eventually find some decent bulls.  It was a tough call, but I settled on a place that I thought wouldn't have a lot of pressure, and had a couple of legit shooters hanging around.  Opening day did not disappoint, as the bulls were on schedule and in place.  But by the time we had dropped down the canyon, and back up to a knob to shoot from, they disappeared.  We sat there till 4 looking for them, but to no avail.  My buddy went back up high to look some more for them, and found another 6x6.  It took us an hour to get out of that canyon, and by the time we got up there, the 6x had moved on and we could not relocate him.  

On saturday, we went back in there, and could only find some smaller bulls that didn't slow down for a shot.  By the end of the day Saturday, I was pretty beat up.  I decided to take Sunday off completely and recover.  After church, my son begged me, " let's drive down forrest road **** and just see if we can glass something up.  I reluctantly agreed.  And sure enough, we did. 

With my son standing there, excited, I couldn't help but shoot this bull.  My son ranged him at 487, i touched off my tikka 300 win mag, and he dropped in his tracks.  He struggled, and got back up, but fell over again.  

It took us a minute to find him, but we did, and thanked the Lord, who is always good.  

it was a great hunt.  Good time spent with friends and family.

• Like 18

Good eating right there, plus you had a youngster's back and energy  to help with the packing, even better! Great  times hunting with the kids.

• Like 2

Good on you for realizing the size of the bull wasn’t more important than the memory you made with your boy. Congratulations!!

• Like 3

So cool that your son was the one wanting to go more.  Good on you for setting the hook in the next generation.  Nice bull too, congratulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwrguy said:

Good job Bryan...meat in the freezer

and thanks for  the intel.  :)

14 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Fantastic! Tikka for the win. Nice bull

Let me tell you, the tikka t3 lite is a poor man's custom rifle.  You could spend 3k to get a rifle that shoots a 1/4  moa better.  

• Like 1