Silver Bullet

Which processor to use for elk?

I have my late season elk hunt starting this Friday in Unit 22n, and found out that the meat processor I used 3 years ago isn’t around. 
Can anyone recommend a place I can use in the Phoenix area? I’ll be doing the “gutless method” and cutting up the back straps and tenderloins myself, so just need a shop that will do a few roasts and the rest into ground. 
I’m not looking for the cheapest…just want someone who’s reliable and does a great job. 
Thanks in advance!

Good luck on your hunt.  The processor I used to used to use is not around any more either. 

I've used Von Hanson's in the Mesa/Chandler area and they are one of the last retail butcher shops that still process game.  They do good work.  Here's a link:

https://vonhansons.com/chandler-arizona/

I also found this one in Payson (with a PHX location) but I've not personally used them before.  Maybe someone on here can vouch for them.  Looks like a good outfit but it's hard to tell from the website.  Here's a link:

https://www.taggedoutgameprocessing.com/

I'm happy that you're willing to pay more for a quality product.  Maybe if more people had your philosophy, there'd be more processors around.

People rave about Casey's processing but they're in Flag.  Maybe worth the drive though.  Here's a link:

https://caseysprocessing.com/index.html

Again, good luck!  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

There is one in payson (round valley) and a guy in young, which is a little out of the way, 

I have been using Millers Southwest with good results. They have a cold trailer up in Forest Lakes you can drop the meat at as long as it isn't full. Then pick up in Queen Creek. Or drop it in Queen creek if you want. 

The trailer was there today when I drove through, but once they fill it up, they send it down the hill. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bojangles said:

There is one in payson (round valley) and a guy in young, which is a little out of the way, 

Round Valley Processing is great, I have been using them for a couple years 623-978-2390

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I have been using Millers Southwest with good results. They have a cold trailer up in Forest Lakes you can drop the meat at as long as it isn't full. Then pick up in Queen Creek. Or drop it in Queen creek if you want. 

The trailer was there today when I drove through, but once they fill it up, they send it down the hill. 

If you go with Millers, have them make some Chorizo, if that's your fancy.  Next time I'll have the majority of my ground made into Chorizo.  It's very good.

6 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

If you go with Millers, have them make some Chorizo, if that's your fancy.  Next time I'll have the majority of my ground made into Chorizo.  It's very good.

I had 5lbs made this time, my buddy got 20lbs. It is good. 

White tank meats is about the best of any processor I’ve used in the state.

around 20 animals with zero issues. Although they do fill up fast. 

west Phoenix and queen creek. 

Usually its as much about who has space as it is about who you want. I've used Miller's, Von Hanson, and Karl's in Cottonwood. All do nice work. Karl does a good clean job. Von Hanson's jalapeno and cheese sausage is to die for.

But whenever possible, I do my own.

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

White tank meats is about the best of any processor I’ve used in the state.

around 20 animals with zero issues. Although they do fill up fast. 

west Phoenix and queen creek. 

Jason and Josh have been my friends for decades.  All of my buddies have there cattle processed with these guys. Good honest people and do a premium job. 

Jason Holliday took over White Tanks Meats several years ago. Look them up as Holliday Processing, 

28 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Jason and Josh have been my friends for decades.  All of my buddies have there cattle processed with these guys. Good honest people and do a premium job. 

Jason Holliday took over White Tanks Meats several years ago. Look them up as Holliday Processing, 

True.  But Jason still refers to the west side location as white tanks meats as of two week ago. 

39 minutes ago, oz31p said:

True.  But Jason still refers to the west side location as white tanks meats as of two week ago. 

Cool, probably still references both names. It's on his website as Holliday as well.