Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Boots destroyed by Hydrolysis

Long story short, 8 years ago I bought heavier hiking boots to wear only a couple times a year.  Stored them in my closet in a Rubbermaid Action tote.  Because I had some medical problems I didn't use them for about 18 months. 

I had a 36 tag and decided to use them last Saturday. I had been wearing a lighter boot but I had lofty dreams to find a deer I had glassed up that was a ways back.  About 3 miles into my hunt I happened to notice a situation. 

20211204_122703_resized_1.thumb.jpg.5e89a11ae0ebb875e6200075d3084225.jpg

I had a very short discussion with myself, thinking about how to get back.  Then I remembered I had a 1in roll of Gorilla tape that I bought on a whim.

20211204_123413_resized_1.thumb.jpg.9fe0af2def2cab8ed8c06941c51899e5.jpg

I made it out with bruised heels, but no cuts or thorns in my feet, so I consider it a successful repair.  

20211205_154546_resized_1.thumb.jpg.f39e4af572a675fd83739b489e366037.jpg

The lesson learned, all boots with this type of sole (non-welted), including all your favorites no matter how much you spent.... are susceptible to Hydrolysis. 

The lesson learned,

Wear them more often. ( I'm guilty)

Make sure they are dry before putting them away (not my cause)

Store them in the open air.  (I'm guilty)

Inspect older boots before long hikes even if they look perfect (I'm guilty)

I'm sending mine back to Lowa to resole them, at my expense, and will take better care know that I know. 

I am attaching info about the issue.  The more you know...... 

https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/the-sole-destroying-effects-of-hydrolysis-on-leather-boots

and before you say not my ............ insert your favorite boot here, do a google image search...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cactusjack said:

Yep.  Camino GTX

I have a couple pairs of them. Ill make sure I don't do all the above things! Thanks for the heads up!

Dang.  That’s wild!  I’ve had that happen gradually over a few years and always thought it was manure eating things away but I guess they can just break down too!

Yep…I’ve had the same with a couple pairs of boots. Mine ended up separating in the front and looked like dogs flapping their tongues LoL

worst for me was a pair of work shoes that separated on me while walking down the street in DC on work travel. That was a long week since I was too cheap to go buy new ones at the time. LoL

Thanks for putting this info up! Gives new meaning to the term "putting them away wet". That includes saddles and leather tack. 

I had a pair of dress shoes crumble out at dinner.  I thought the problem was only in that brand.  Nope.  It was the same problem.   Wear them more seems to be the answer.   

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 5:28 PM, 10Turkeys said:

I had a pair of boots do that and I thought some rodent got them.

0616182127.jpg

a ROUS!!  Rodents of Unusual Size!!!

• Haha 1

I bought a pair of what appeared to be, newer jump boots at Goodwill.

About halfway into a hike I realized something was wrong. Both soles were coming off. Like CJ, my pack is a virtual mobile hardware store. Some Gorilla tape and a beeline trek back to the truck. 

So proud I had a fix I hardly noticed the looks of contempt I got at the trailhead.

7 hours ago, cactusjack said:

a ROUS!!  Rodents of Unusual Size!!!

That was my best guess. I hadn't worn those for 6-8 months, and the heel was pretty chewed up.

my wolverines did that about 3 miles from my truck down in the blue a few years ago. I did not have tape. That was a miserable walk out of there.