Yuma Outdoorsman

Saw this on Instagram...what’s your take?

27 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Do you arm chair biologists think that poachers are going to mandatory report?  Do you think that the dept. will get a search warrant and check to see if you reported correctly?  Herd numbers change for many many different reasons.  

Arm chair biologist? TF?

Do you look at your bank statement? Or do you just guess every month.

it’s there fuck1ng job count the deer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ThomC said:

Do you arm chair biologists think that poachers are going to mandatory report?  Do you think that the dept. will get a search warrant and check to see if you reported correctly?  Herd numbers change for many many different reasons.  

Right. How many buddies will turn one another in for dumping a cat and pitching it in the canyon bottom or shot a bear in a closed unit and reported the kill in a neighboring open unit? Good luck with this! Like I said maybe I’m in the minority but spend a lot of time in the field and haven’t seen a manager in years 

3 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Right. How many buddies will turn one another in for dumping a cat and pitching it in the canyon bottom or shot a bear in a closed unit and reported the kill in a neighboring open unit? Good luck with this! Like I said maybe I’m in the minority but spend a lot of time in the field and haven’t seen a manager in years 

Cat and bear already have to be reported

yeah you don’t see many, why the reporting would probably be somewhat helpful 

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Cat and bear already have to be reported

yeah you don’t see many, why the reporting would probably be somewhat helpful 

Right. Bear and lion have been a mandatory (voluntary) report for a long time and well I think we’ve all heard enough stories. I have a feeling a lot of lions and bears don’t get reported unless going to a taxi and feel without more enforcement, deer will be the same.  Without spending a chit load more of the dept revenue on more officers who knows what that solution is

5 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Right. Bear and lion have been a mandatory (voluntary) report for a long time and well I think we’ve all heard enough stories. 

No i haven’t. But What’s your point regardless, That a wild a$$ guess is better than reporting? 

But you want more officers? How would more officers be better than reporting? 

So let's see...except for the other 24 guys who also killed but lied on their report, honest hunters reported killing130 bucks in ##unit last year. What percentage of the herd in that unit was killed?  

10 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

No i haven’t. But What’s your point regardless, That a wild a$$ guess is better than reporting? 

But you want more officers? How would more officers be better than reporting? 

No. Mandatory reporting is better than a wild guess for sure. My point is make it work or that too is a wild butt guess. My point on more officers is if there’s more of a presence of law enforcement possibly more will feel they’re being watched and will comply with the rules. Like was said earlier about surveys and other states. Would be very easy for G$F to make people complete a survey from prior year before submitting current year app. But they don’t. So if for general draw hunts they can’t get a true account of actual harvest numbers, how will they be able to count on this mandatory reporting system?

5 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

No. Mandatory reporting is better than a wild guess for sure. My point is make it work or that too is a wild butt guess. My point on more officers is if there’s more of a presence of law enforcement possibly more will feel they’re being watched and will comply with the rules. Like was said earlier about surveys and other states. Would be very easy for G$F to make people complete a survey from prior year before submitting current year app. But they don’t. So if for general draw hunts they can’t get a true account of actual harvest numbers, how will they be able to count on this mandatory reporting system?

What rules? Are you talking about poaching now, What does that have to do with the OP?

35 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What rules? Are you talking about poaching now, What does that have to do with the OP?

Well yes if you want to call it that. For the honest hunters that do  report, but don’t notify the dept of the half dozen they hit in the gut and continued hunting until finally killing one. Another reason accurate reporting is not possible. We’re headed for a draw or we should be

• Like 1

Just now, Sky Island junkie said:

Well yes if you want to call it that. For the honest hunters that do  report, but don’t notify the dept of the half dozen they hit in the gut and continued hunting until finally killing one. Another reason accurate reporting is not possible. We’re headed for a draw or we should be

IMO

35 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

I’m really confused about where this conversation went. But, the survey asks if you wounded and didn’t recover an animal. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

How does a draw stop that from continuing (if it even does to the level you’re suggesting)?  Are drawn hunters more honest and forth giving than non-draw hunters?  I’m confused by your rationale.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I’m really confused about where this conversation went. But, the survey asks if you wounded and didn’t recover an animal. 

Certainly it asks but how many are truthful and how many actually submit  their survey? And how do you force them to submit.  I by far have found way more archery deer kills that we’re not retrieved than rifle kills. This I feel will not get better 

6 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Certainly it asks but how many are truthful and how many actually submit  their survey? And how do you force them to submit.  I by far have found way more archery deer kills that we’re not retrieved than rifle kills. This I feel will not get better 

From my perspective, the forced submittal could be extremely easy.  Go to a 100% electronic/online license and permit system.  Then simply don't allocate a current permit until the survey for the prior year is complete.  Truthfulness?  A whole different story, but there is nothing you can do about that except assume some sort of margin of error.

That being said, from a pure 'system/IT' perspective, it would be VERY simple.  Whether that means G&F could build the platform and roll it out effectively could be something else, entirely. 😒

• Like 3