Born2hunt

Swaro 15x or Razor UHD

I just received a new pair of kaibab 18x56s through vortex’s warranty program, and I’m thinking about selling those and upgrading to a pair of 15x SLC HDs if I can find a pre-owned set. Anybody looking to sell a pair?  Also looking at the vortex razor UHD if anyone has experience they’d like to share about those. 

i would like to do a side by side comparison of these to see the difference in the money. i have the old dark green slc 10x50 (my favorite of all time) and older dark green slcs and love them but recently want new 15s or the 18uhds for some reason

I wouldn’t go over 15x in a 56-60mm bino.  The only reason vortex ever made 18’s was to try to get people to bite on the gimmick that somehow 18 is better then 15 because it’s bigger.  You want to keep your ratio of power to objective diameter as close to 1:4 as possible.  (Ex 8x32, 10x40, 15x60 etc).  If you drop below that you’re not letting the amount of light through that is necessary for your eye to work to its fullest.  I personally would sell those Vortex as a new pair as it sounds like they are and then buy a pair of swaro 15 HD’s.   You will never regret it and if you are hard up for cash someday you’ll get dang near what you paid for them in a hurry.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I wouldn’t go over 15x in a 56-60mm bino.  The only reason vortex ever made 18’s was to try to get people to bite on the gimmick that somehow 18 is better then 15 because it’s bigger.  You want to keep your ratio of power to objective diameter as close to 1:4 as possible.  (Ex 8x32, 10x40, 15x60 etc).  If you drop below that you’re not letting the amount of light through that is necessary for your eye to work to its fullest.  I personally would sell those Vortex as a new pair as it sounds like they are and then buy a pair of swaro 15 HD’s.   You will never regret it and if you are hard up for cash someday you’ll get dang near what you paid for them in a hurry.  

Ya I don’t like the idea of going up to 18x - I need them as bright as I can get. I remember seeing deals on used swaros for $1800-$1900 and was hoping to find something like that before Christmas. Yes, the kaibabs are new they were just delivered last night. 

I have the uhd 18s and a pair of non HD swaro 15s(but have looked through my buddies HD swaros, for comparison) and it really depends what your gonna be using them for. We don't have spotting scopes so it was good combo. We both found and glassed up a ton of animals in the low/grey light but some of the further animals had to be judged by me. But for shed hunting or even archery hunting or fast paced scenarios  I chest carry my 15s in the kuiu bino harness