Sign in to follow this  

Ward's Outfitters

They had to be after him for something else, the penalties for everything G&F related are so light this seems steep for something so small.  If he didn’t have permits at all on that forest then that makes more sense.  The may have made it stick on the lying on the form thing but the real problem was the lack of permits? Guessskng more to this story.  

According to FS LEO, Ward was sent a letter from Coconino FS in March saying he needed a permit to hunt the Coconino that fall with clients. He had hunted it in the past and never got a permit. He didn’t get a permit to hunt it after he was warned. He excluded those clients off his guide report. Ward said it was an honest mistake that he forgot to add those clients to his guide report. 

Interesting info on Coconino Forest website...don't know how long it's been in effect.

Outfitting and Guiding Services

The Coconino National Forest is not currently accepting new proposals for outfitter/guide activities. The Flagstaff and Mogollon Ranger Districts recently completed an Outfitting and Guiding Need Assessment and Capacity Analysis process and are in the process of evaluating the future outfitting and guiding program on these Districts. If you are interested in updates on future outfitting or guiding opportunities, please contact the appropriate Ranger District.

I gotta say I am way more empathetic to him being slack on government red tape as opposed to a blatant game law violation such as drones, flying during a hunt, or outright poaching.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This sucks. I've met Steve on a handful of occasions. Really nice guy and great family. If true, I hope this is some sort of simple error or oversight that can be corrected. 

• Like 3

So…..what would the narrative be on here if this were A3 or one of the other big outfitters out there?! Guaranteed it wouldn’t be sympathetic.  SMH. 

3 minutes ago, mc68 said:

So…..what would the narrative be on here if this were A3 or one of the other big outfitters out there?! Guaranteed it wouldn’t be sympathetic.  SMH. 

I think some of us are mature enough to judge guides and outfitters based on personal encounters and a case by case basis.

• Like 5

Rossslider, I promise you I have way more insight to this than you. I won’t publicly air out specifics. I’m mature enough for that😂. I do respect your thought on a case by case basis though, and I agree with that. 

3 minutes ago, mc68 said:

Rossslider, I promise you I have way more insight to this than you. I won’t publicly air out specifics. I’m mature enough for that😂. I do respect your thought on a case by case basis though, and I agree with that. 

LOL, you don't even know me, who I know, or what I know. How can you make statements suggesting you know more than a person you don't know or know anything about? Maybe you do and maybe you don't.

Anyhow, it's all good, do what you have do.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mc68 said:

A3 has a reputation for blocking roads,  checking others cams and deleting them, several guys on several ridges walking one hunter in to kill, driving in wilderness areas, telling other hunters "we saw you watching that buck, we have a high paying client coming in to kill that buck,  go find another one", crossing unit bounderies to kill big animals etc.  Even recently heard how they supposedly found the jimmy john bull and if its true its even more disgusting then all the things listed above.

I have never heard any of these things about Wards.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I gotta say I am way more empathetic to him being slack on government red tape as opposed to a blatant game law violation such as drones, flying during a hunt, or outright poaching.  

I met him a few years back and have multiple mutual friends. Definitely a down to earth not full of himself guy and never heard a bad word. You’re right if this is a first offense I too feel bad for him for the avenues this will open or close. We small business owners of all types need to pay attention!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yotebuster said:

They had to be after him for something else, the penalties for everything G&F related are so light this seems steep for something so small.  If he didn’t have permits at all on that forest then that makes more sense.  The may have made it stick on the lying on the form thing but the real problem was the lack of permits? Guessskng more to this story.  

Two separate violations. The permit issue would be pursued by the USFS. The report issue would be up to AGFD to pursue. Obviously for G&F to bring that charge, they knew he guided someone without the permits & didn't list them on the report. They likely concluded it was a calculated  attempt to avoid anyone from knowing where he had taken the hunters & not just a brain fart.  

In general, G&F issues don't come before the commission unless they are already adjudicated elsewhere, i.e. a court, and are found or plea guilty. That's when the commission gets involved with license suspensions/revocations.